cutting skirting board in situ

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by harvey1971, Feb 25, 2006.

1. harvey1971

harvey1971 New Member

Got to put a new door frame in a hallway to create a porch. Really don't want top remove the skirting board.

What's the best solution for cutting thru the board nice and clean/straight??
    I've made a bit of a bodge of this in the past so any advice appreciated.
    Presumably a Fein m/master would do it but I'm reluctant to spend the money unless I have too...

2. bigjules

bigjules New Member

You've bought a new door and frame so why not go the whole hog and buy a length of skirting for a fiver rather than fiddling about cutting the existing?

3. SDSMax

SDSMax New Member

simply using a tenon saw will give you a reasonably straight cut.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If you are putting an architrave or quadrant around the frame, cut the skirting roughly where the architrave will cover it, then scribe the architrave around the remaining skirting. It'll look exactly the same.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

5. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

How do you cut the skirting in situ with a tenon saw without cutting into the plaster/wallpaper or hitting the floor.If you have to cut the skirting mark it square drill holes with a flat bit on the waste side then cut neatly with a chisel

6. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

use a bicky jointer an drill an chisel the bottom bit,or mark a plumb line an drill out then chisel out 2 finnished line (scored of course )

7. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

bye eck lad,u beat me by a minute

8. SDSMax

SDSMax New Member

How do you cut the skirting in situ with a tenon saw
    without cutting into the plaster/wallpaper or hitting
    the floor.

very carefully mate!

9. dunc

dunc New Member

The cost of spoiling your saw may amount to the same as the price of a new length of skirting.

10. big all

big all Screwfix Select

ease the skirting off the wall a wee bit to stop you hitting the wall!!!
    i personaly nail a batton on the front to give you a strait edge to saw down and use a tennon saw

i have used a jigsaw with reasonable results but you finnish up with dents where your holding the nose of the base plate so tightly to the skirting to stop it jumping as you drop the back down to cut through
    you also have to reposition an inch higher as you cut through

you also have to make sure the end off the blade dosnt hit any thing

big all

11. lankster

lankster New Member

Ive got a jigsaw blade i cut down to about an inch at max reach! YEEE HAAA o and drill n chisel the botom.

12. panlid

panlid New Member

If you are putting an architrave or quadrant around
    the frame, cut the skirting roughly where the
    architrave will cover it, then scribe the architrave
    around the remaining skirting. It'll look exactly the
    same.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

for the love of god andy what planet are you circumnavigating now?????
    the architrave butts up against the end of the skirting it does not cover it.
    i find it is easier to take the skirt off and cut and replace. if not jus get a stiff blade saw and plod away. some things ijn life are a pain and not easy to do well.
    this is one.

13. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I think you'll find, Sid, that this door is the only partition to a hallway,ie wall to wall, otherwise there would be no skirting cutting going on.

Mr. HandyAndy - really