Cutting Speedfit plastic pipe with Rothenberg Copper pipe cutter?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by MikeyT, Mar 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MikeyT

MikeyT New Member

I've mistakenly bought a Rothenberg Automatic Pipe cutter for copper pipe.
    Its the type that is circular and you twist it around the pipe to make a cut.

Could I use the cutter to cut a 22mm Speedfit plastic pipe, would it cause me any problems.

I read the review of the Pipe cutter and it said it was a very good item and only when I picked it up I realised its for copper pipe.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Attached Files:

2. I've certainly used copper cutters for plastic pipe and the only issue I've had is that it compresses the cut pipe end inwards making fitting the support sleeve a bit more tricky - but not much.

One thing I'd add is to check the surface of a good half-inch of the pipe end after it's been cut (do a test cut) to see if the wheels have scored the pipe surface at all. If it has, then be very wary because the push-fits rely on an O ring to make a seal, so any significant scoring could cause leaks.

Chances are it'll be ok.

3. MikeyT

MikeyT New Member

Hi, thanks for the info. I will practice first on some old pipe then decide whether to chance it or not. Thanks again.

4. If it cuts it cleanly enough, and if the end half-inch outer surface is undamaged, then it's ok :)

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

6. MikeyT

MikeyT New Member

Yes, I will probably buy the same cutter made to cut plastic pipes. Thanks again.

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

8. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Why on earth would you risk it? :eek:
    Go buy the proper tool for the job :mad:

9. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

How many pipes are you planning on joining?
    Two, six? A thousand?
    If the former just cut the buggers and get done what you need to get done, ie listen to, DA, it'll be fine
    If you don't you'll be spending hundreds of pounds on rothenberger superfire super-duper soldering torches, pressure test equipment and a weeks training course in how to effectively complete the simplest of plumbing tasks.
    Use a hacksaw if you need to and carefully be-bur the edges if need be.
    You're over thinking it.:)

10. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I have had a top of the range underfloor heating system delivered complete with cutters for the plastic pipes. The cutter was a set of Gardening Secateurs !

As for using the copper pipe cutters - don't chance it. And never use a hacksaw.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Quickest way to damage O ring is using hacksaw & deburring of edges pipe it is still rough enough to damage fitting.

12. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Wonderful - here we are - a plumbers forum - and recommending people to cut plastic pipe with a hacksaw. Are we serious...:mad:
    It matters not if you have 1 or a 1000 joints to fit, just the one joint failing can cause thousands £ in grief.

Go get the proper tools, there are no short cuts in plumbing

KIAB likes this.
  13. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

There is only one recommending that and it was soon countered with the instructions:

14. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

If you're a bit restricted for space and can't get a hacksaw in, you could use a drywall saw instead. ;):D