Cutting Splashback

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Mike Millsted, Mar 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mike Millsted

Mike Millsted New Member

Hi there, I'm trying to install the white plastic splashback in my daughters kitchen. It's the 600mm high white splashback (Howdens) with a different sized square pattern on each side.

When trying to cut it it's VERY brittle and I'm finding it exceedingly difficult to cut cleanly. So far I've found that a fine handsaw works best for the straight cuts, but for the trickier smaller cuts the jigsaw doesn't work so well. We'd got almost all the way done with a complex shape around the window ledge and some other stuff when it just cracked and flaked big time - so the whole section is ruined. I've got to do some cutouts for sockets as well so I'm worried about that. Anybody cut this stuff? What would you recommend? I was wondering about using a router. I have one but haven't used it for years!

Thanks

2. Nis999

Nis999 Member

I've just done my whole kitchen (10 pieces and 13 socket cut-outs) in coloured 5mm Perspex (red) from Bay Plastics. cut all pieces with jig saw and cut-outs with multi saw. Even used an electric planer to get perfect fit. Cuts had to be made carefully and Perspex doesn't like to get hot, but had no cracks or accidents, and the result is stunning, it looks like glass. All pieces are cut size, and were accurate to the mm.

http://www.plasticstockist.com/Red-Perspex-Sheet/Red-433-Cast-Perspex-Acrylic-Sheet.aspx

3. Mike Millsted

Mike Millsted New Member

Thanks for that. This stuff seems different to perspex - much more brittle.

4. Nis999

Nis999 Member

If its that brittle I'd worry about it cracking after its fitted too. Sounds like you'd be better off with Perspex... my order only took a few days. (It shouldn't be used behind a cooker though, I used glass for that, pic attached). Good luck...

Attached Files:

5. Mike Millsted

Mike Millsted New Member

Looks really nice! Yes, if we can't make it work we'll look at something else.

6. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select