Cutting tiles with electric tile cutter round electrical socket boxes etc.

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by PaulBlackpool, Nov 3, 2016.

1. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Just a tip for DIY tilers who have not used an electric tile cutter before. Where it might be better from a finish point of view to cut straight cuts with the face of the tile down this should not be done where two cuts intersect at 90 degrees or any other angle for that matter as the cutting wheel will have to overcut the face of the tile . You need to mark out the area to be cut out with a black marker on the face of the tile and cut to these lines face up. Then the unsightly "overcuts" will be hidden at the back of the tile.
    Luckily where I did it wrong initially will be just about covered by the stainless steel faceplate of the socket.

KIAB likes this.
  2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I usually use a grinder and my foot to hold the tile in place! lol

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Normally use a "Rotazip" for fiddly don't see them on sale much these day since Bosch bought the company.

Otherwise have a variety of wet and old fashioned scoring ones

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Yep...done that :)

5. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Well I must have spent well over £1000 to fully tile a kitchen and utility room. As the adhesive is £20 a tub, £40 for a cutter seems very good value. I bought it in response to a previous thread on here. I am really pleased with it.

CGN likes this.
  6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

When i tiled the house before last my wife knew the owner of the tile shop and he lent me a lovely tile cutter for free. It was lovely to use as i was cutting quite thick tiles!

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I cut the 2 vertical lines as per usual, face up, wet cutter

Flip tile over and mark horizontal with a Sharpie

Remove guard from blade, crouch down to blade level and holding tile, use top of blade to score across the line, slightly going past the vertical cuts

Once scored, just snap of using pincers. Any slight unevenness is covered by socket faceplate

Works for me but, you do get a bit wet once guard is removed and, watch ur fingers ;)

8. jimson

jimson New Member

I have a makita glass cutter it is 25yrs old battery powered ,perfect for cutting out light switches can be used as a plunge cutter and has its own water container,no dust just perfect cuts.