Cylinders

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by James owen, Feb 4, 2016.

1. James owen

James owen New Member

Do some cylinders have 2 flow and 2 returns that need to be looped when converting to a combi

2. When converting to a combi you do away with the cylinder.

3. James owen

James owen New Member

I know I've done that there where 6 pipes coming from it. It was a large combination cylinder. Hot and cold have been repiped. Left with 4 pipes now

4. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Need to know if its a cylinder or a thermal store. both can have multiple coils for solar, underfloor heating, etc.

5. James owen

James owen New Member

It was a cylinder about 10-15 years old. Hot and cold are sorted I put a mini rad in the old airing cupboard and hooked up f and r but only that rad has filled so other 2 must have been an additional f and r. Tank had already been removed before I started so I was struggling to identify pipes so wanted to know if a cylinder candidates have to f and r's

6. James owen

James owen New Member

Could have been a thermal store just asked customer and they said it had 2 pumps and a strange valve could be a blender
    If that's the case I just link both flows to each other and same with the return. Is that right?

7. Dave does Gas

Sorry but your not making sense. maybe a couple of pictures will help, I cant understand from your description what you are tryimg to achieve.

Incidently would it be a Chelmer Thermostore? Is there any UF heating on it as that would explain the pumps that and a bronze pump

8. James owen

James owen New Member

Won't let me upload the cylinder has been removed now to need to reconnect flow and return I thought I'd piped it correctly but only the rad in the airing cupboard I installed is filling so it must have had 2 flow and returns from the old boiler one for hot water and one for heating. Its a strange system as from what the can gather it didn't have any motorised valves.

9. Dave does Gas

Hate to say it but unless you understand the old system I cant say how you can possibly upgrade it.

There are numerous systems out there in this day and age which makes life difficult but a basic understanding between the difference of a cylinder and a thermal store wuld have save you a lot of grief.

10. James owen

James owen New Member

Sorted mate just had 2 pumps no motorised valves.

Boiler must have had 2 feeds one for hot water and one for f and r just linked them together and all seems well.

11. Dave does Gas

12. James owen

James owen New Member

Never come across a system like that before was a pain as cylinder had been removed when I got the by the customer as it was leaking

13. Dave does Gas

Just in the process of replacing an obsolete Chelmer thermostor which has UFH attached, will take a bit of re configuration but total pain in the *** to figure it out.