DA Orbital Sander advice please

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by BillS, Jul 27, 2015.

1. BillS

BillS New Member

Hi all,
    I have very little experience here so please excuse my ignorance!
    I borrowed an orbital sander to do some work, it did the job great, problem is I stupidly hit the head a screw I missed and took a small chunk out the hard velcro pad which is attached to the sander.
    I want to replace this part out of respect to the lender but can't find one which obviously matches the sander. It has 8 holes in it for drawing dust and is made of a kind of foam covered with hook velcro. I dont know whether they are universal fit or not???
    It's a Mac Allister mos450c random orbit sander, 125mm backing pad. I'm attaching a picture.
    it has an allen key hole in the centre of the bottom of the pad, It doesnt turn easy and I don't want to damage it further.
    Many thanks for any advice!

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

MacAllister is a B&Q own brand range of power tools.
    Could try MacAllister service 03330 143087, they might be able to help, tool has 3 year warrenty.

3. miss pickle

miss pickle Well-Known Member

Kiab!!!! Wait! don't gooooo! I want to know what happens when my guarantees run out :) is it best to replace the tool then? I'm worried I will have an accident and cause myself an injury when the tool is no longer covered.
    Sorry bill :D hope you don't mind.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I think you ought to start by reading in full, just what the guarantee covers and does not cover, before you make any frivilous decisions!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

If you can get the part...it might be well on the way cost wise to a new sander! Could always buy ya mate a new one and keep that one. Btw, very admirable you're doing the right thing...

Gatt likes this.
  6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Probably easiest to just buy a new one.

7. miss pickle

Eh? :confused: Oh poops does that mean I might not be covered anyhow? I just mean if I have an injury due to a faulty tool. Obviously if its my own dumb fault then fair enough.
    I was reading that thread about the mitre saw and it just got me wondering.

In reply to Andy :)

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Rule 1, never loan or borrow tools! :rolleyes:

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Both the tools mentioned were cheap chinese own brands, just don't buy them.

10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

True...hence my suggestion really....

11. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Decent tools usually have a 3 year warranty, sometimes you need to register them upon purchase....after that,if you need spares, then that is down to you. Cheap Chinese tat,well after a year,just chuck it. Sorry Miss P, but as for personal injury, that would be a matter for the courts....Expensive ! :(

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If your want a orbital sander that last longer than a year, or two, then look at Bosch 'Green' range, it's aimed at diy use, but it's still quailty, I have one of there green sheet sanders, must be 15 years, maybe even 20 years old & still going strong.

Some of my Bosch 'Blue' Professional kit is 15+ years & still working, never been repaired, only carbon brushes change & some greased.

13. miss pickle

Thanks malkie :) oooh I'd best be careful then :eek:
    Its only really a little drill a little jigsaw and a sander that I will use for now.
    I've worked really hard today :D got loads done. I know I have still been nattering a lot but that's coz I've painted indoors today and I have my tablet with me so I can keep an eye on you lot ;).

14. miss pickle

Good news coz as you know my jigsaw is Bosch :D

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Miss P, how you getting on with that spray gun?

16. miss pickle

Havnt used him yet :D waiting for this blinking weather to change :eek:
    But I've been using that zinsser primer and its brilliant. Great to paint over!!! Even with a brush :) I'm finding this week much easier than last week.

17. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I've got blue B & D sander & jigsaw. :D Can't remember last time that I used them, but they still work after nearly 40 years. I've also got a blue Bosch circular saw....There was no distinction then between trade & DIY. Had a few blades, but cut an old flat-pack wardrobe up last week with it....No probs. :):):)

18. miss pickle

I'm very nervous about the jigsaw :confused:

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Just keep your fingers and the lead out of the way and take control of it, if you are wishy washy it will bounce around, if you are firm with it it will do what you want.
    Does it have a pendulum action?

20. miss pickle

Yeah chippie its pendulum :D

Your so right though coz that's exactly what happened to me with the sander !!!
    Haha! You should of seen me :rolleyes: it was all over the shop. I've got the hang of it now though ;) I lost me rag and got hold of it and then it behaved :)