DAB radio backlit display.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by devil's advocate, Jan 2, 2007.

1. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Hello.

I have a Bush (I know, I know) DAB radio with a 3-line dot-matrix display which has 'lost' one of its blue back lights.

I understand these displays are fairly standard and are shared by many makes of DAB radio. Does anyone know if the blue lamp (LED?) is easily replacable, or is it built-in to the display panel itself?

I'm ok with soldering and stuff but would appreciate knowing if it's a goer before I start taking it apart.

Thanks.

2. GaGa

GaGa New Member

Hi Devil,
    I do't know the exact modle you speak of, but I design in these things for a living, so here goes....

It is very likely to be an LED backlight, but highly unlikely the LED has failed. They are generally very reliable. It's far more likely to be a dry joint on the LED itself, or in the power and GND rails for that particular LED or row of LEDs. I'd check that first. The LEDs are normally Surface Mounted Devices (SMD) embedded within the LED module, behind the glass of the display. The metal frame which holds the glass onto the PCB can be removed by bending lugs, undoing screws etc, allowing the whole assembly to be taken apart, exposing the PCB and LEDs. Unfortunately, in order to disperse the light, the LEDs are normally "potted" or embedded in a bed of semi-translucent silicon, which means that replacing them, involves ripping out the silicon from it's "bath", then replacing the offending LED. This is VERY difficult, and would need new silicon blobbing in there afterwards. The LCD module is not designed to be taken apart, and you may find it won't go back together again properly, personally, I'd get in touch with BUSH and see if you can get a new LCD module, you should be able to replace it into the radio fairly easily. Your blood presure and remaining hair will thank you for taking this route. Good luck with whatever you go for.
    GG

3. devil's advocate

Fantastic reply, GaGa! (What are the chances of coming across someone who actually designs these things?!)

I follow what you say. I appreciate LEDs are pretty reliable and long-lasting items, and agree a poor connection is therefore the most likely cause (we had a Bush DVB TV a many moons ago and that was besieged with dry joints :()

Based on what you say, I'll have a peek inside, but will stop well short of dismantling the LCD module. The text is still pretty clear - it's just that one half is no longer backlit, so I'm certainly not worried about replacing the display itself.

Many thanks - really helpful.

4. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

I don't believe it! I reckon you two set it up :)

5. devil's advocate

Damn - sussed :)

6. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

7. devil's advocate

Hi b-a-s.

Yes, I did think about replying to his post by saying "Wow! You actually design these things - you sad bastard..." but I thought this wouldn't elicit any more helpful responses from him... ;)

(PS Absolutely only kidding, GaGa!! Yet to delve into my radio - but looking forward to it :()

8. GaGa

GaGa New Member

Ha HA,
    yeah, all too spooky for words isn't it?
    My caveat is that I don't design the modules themselves, I just specify what style and size, what colour LEDs,how many, what type of text size etc etc etc...everything else is done by our friends in the far east.

I don't generally do radios either, but a backlit LCD module is pretty standard wherever it goes.

Enjoy the experience, they're pretty robust, if you do get it out, a bit fiddly to disassemble and get back together, but you should need nothing more than a screwdriver, and a pair of narrow nosed pliers to open the module up and have a look at the LED layout.

9. devil's advocate

Hi GaGa.

Thanks for that. I won't go as far as dismantling the unit - I'll just check the connections/wires going to it for obvious faults. Since the dispaly is actually working ok, I'd be really pissed if I made matters worse.

(Have memories of dismantling LCD dispalys from calculators and watches when a lad just for the hell of it, and finding missing segments when reassembled...)

Cheers.

10. fooman

fooman New Member

like talking to yourself ?

11. devil's advocate

Yep.

And someone always has to butt in and spoil it.

:)

12. 2 wheeled ant

2 wheeled ant New Member

I have a Bush (I know, I know) DAB radio with a
    3-line dot-matrix display which has 'lost' one of its
    blue back lights.

Better off to bin it & buy a decent 1
    Ant

13. devil's advocate

Cheers, Ant.

You offering to buy?

(It's actually quite a competent machine - I can't really justify to myself the silly prices of the 'good' makes, many of which perform less well than the Bush.)

14. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Pure are very good, and they have a wide model range, which is useful if you want more than one radio, and have different requirements for them...

15. devil's advocate

Cheers b-a-s.

Happy with my Bush (if you pardon the expression :(); stereo, decent sound, 10 DAB presets, nice looking (honestly!), oh, and £19.50...

(ex-display :))

16. devil's advocate

Yeah, I know; and buggered display...

;)

17. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Can't look as good as this</a.....

18. devil's advocate

HA HA

That's a new one on me - vvveeerrrrryyy nice!

19. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

And in a touch of brilliance, the numbers on the volume control go up to 11....

20. devil's advocate

I've just checked - didn't believe you - we'll, bugger me