Dado rail / Door pair makers.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Timberr, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Timberr

Timberr New Member

Hi doing some dado rail's, whats the best way to go about this from other peoples experience. Internal mitres scribed or mitred?

Also anyone used door pair makers. are they easier than rebating the 2 doors. Also would a standard latch be sufficient to use.

Thanks

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'd mitre, it would be a real pain to scribe, no idea what you mean by door pair makers.

3. Timberr

Timberr New Member

4. Always scribe internal corners more work i just think they look loads better, rebate looks better too depends what tools you have too .

5. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

Obviously pair makers are easier than rebating as you just whack the thing on and job done, not as neat of course as a proper rebate, but they don't look terrible. You can use standard latches with them as you retain the full width side of the door.
    I hope you're not considering the ones you link to though, they're extortionate! Howdens or local timber yards usually do them for around a tenner for oak, you could make them yourself for even less quite easily or just glue and pin a piece of matching timber to the face of the door.
    If you've got the tools and confident to do so, I'd go for a normal rebate however.

caveman bulider likes this.
  6. Timberr

Timberr New Member

Yep for the purpose of the exercise I've just linked the info. I'll be getting it from howdens. Ive done the rebated doors before but these are quick so thought I'd give em whirl as the client doesn't mind.

Thanks for the reply

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I agree on skirting but not on a dado.