Damaged coving paper

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by AmyT, Sep 4, 2016.

1. AmyT

AmyT New Member

Hello,

In the process of removing gloss paint from a ceiling and coving the top layer of paper has been removed from my plaster coving, there is paper there but wondering if paint will go on top? Does anyone know if I can sand this smooth and paint over it or is there another way to repair, should I prime the surface? I cannot remove the coving as just had the walls replastered :(

Any advice would be appreciated...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Go over it with a thin downed coat of matt emulsion (add 25% water to the emulsion) 2 coats letting fully dry between coats and then apply a coat straight from the container.

teabreak likes this.
  3. Blimey, that paper layer came off neatly! Very lucky...

But your ceiling has been 'glossed'? Really? Are you sure it's not 'silk' emulsion - like matt emulsion but with a light sheen?

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Surely these surfaces could have been given a light sanding to provide a key, primed with a high adhesion primer for belt and braces approach and then finished with your chosen paint - emulsion I would guess ?

High chance of damaging the plaster by removing the gloss

How are you planing on removing it anyway from the ceiling

As for the coving.... Removing the paper face....... Blimey :eek:

5. AmyT

AmyT New Member

Hi, the gloss was removed from the ceiling with steaming and then replastered, it's a long story but the ceiling had paper under and had to be removed to skim. The gloss extended to the coving and then it took the top layer off. Someone said that it was salvagable so we didnt remove the coving but now I want to see what the best option is for saving it! So I am asking what to do now, painting over the gloss was never an option!

6. AmyT

AmyT New Member

Hi, the ceiling has been reskimmed after removing the paint and paper below, it is just to coving I want to save!

7. AmyT

AmyT New Member

Hi, thanks for your reply, is this likely to give a decent finish, should I sand the surface first or add primer as unsure about painting directly on to the paper layer?

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

So you have never painted over lining paper or plaster! You will be fine, obviously sand smooth any imperfections....after the first dried coat.

9. AmyT

AmyT New Member

Hi, this is my first house so no I have never painted over lining paper and this is the first time I will have painted on new plaster, hence being clueless! I have been smoothing it out so will give it a go with the diluted coats, we need to mist coat the new plaster anyway so will be easy enough!

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

;) Sorry, I must remember we all start somewhere:D:p

11. AmyT

AmyT New Member

Yes, I've entered a whole new world of Checkatrade, Screwfix forums, ESP, self levelling and dust, lots of dust! My design technology GCSE and Mechano skills have set me up well! :D

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Interesting pattern on the new ceiling!

13. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

No worries. It was paper when it was new! As said earlier, a thinned coat, then however many full coats to match other stuff.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really