Damaged Dewalt 625 router

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by snoopy, Feb 15, 2005.

1. snoopy

snoopy New Member

Hi,
    Can anyone help?
    I have a dewalt 625 router and made the fatal error of lending it to a mate, It came back with the collet nut cross threaded on the spindle :( .
    I have been quoted about £140 to get repaired as a new armature needs to be fitted (the thread is damaged on the spindle and not the nut)
    Anyone know if maybe a new thread can be cut on the spindle?

thanx snoopy

2. big all

big all Screwfix Select

heeelllooo and welcome snoopy

sorry youve learnt the lesson we have all learnt about lending

how the he11 did he/she manage to cross thread the collet has a large long thread
    you may be stuffed
    have you thought adout trying to clean thread with a tap and dye [recutting cleaning the same groove]mat also work with a new collet nut

big all

3. jasonb

jasonb New Member

You will have a job finding a die for that thread, may be better to try a thread restoring file , although the pitch is quite fine.

But would you want to be using a router at 20,000+ revs and not be sure the collet will stay done up?

Jason

4. Industry Insider

Industry Insider New Member

Sorry to hear your bad news Snoopy, I'm afraid chances of repairing the threads are slim. I would ask around for quotes as some companies overcharge for repairs, often doubling the spare part cost. You could also order just the spare parts and change the aramture yourself, it's not rocket science. I would suggest if you do have a go, buy the armature with the bearings. Make sure you pay to have it PAT tested when you've finished. About £3 or £4 usually to check that it is electrically safe. I your not confident, find the cheapest repairer and get your mate to pay!

5. Master Carpenter

Master Carpenter New Member

hi mate,

Dont listen to any of the stupid qoutes off all the hot shot companies trying to earn their money,buy a cheap router and swap the spindles over just makes sure they are the same size.
    If that doesnt work i would suggest sending ure router back to dewalt to get it fixed, it is more than likely that they will just send you a totally new router if you are within the 3year warranty period thats what they did for me and it didnt cost me a sausage.

Thanks for readin!