Dammit,it's Stramit!!

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Sm4164, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Sm4164

Sm4164 New Member

Mid 80's house upstairs room requires a TV bracket on the wall. All options and forums already explored!Could use a ceiling bracket secured in the loft, bracket needs to be hidden though ideally.If I dry lined/dot and dabbed plasterboard on top would the usual p'board fixings hold a 32" TV and relevant bracket?
    ps, Mr Stramit, thanks, thanks a lot
    sm4164

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

So why can't you use a wall bracket? If the walls are dry lined just find the studs to screw into.

3. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

If it's dot and dab, use long fixings into the actual wall.

It it's stud work, pickup to vertical uprights, drilling the bracket if required.

4. Sm4164

Sm4164 New Member

Maybe I should have clarified the issue? Stramit is a 60mm thick board used between the upright studs. It's made of compressed straw. These boards are about 120mm wide and are faced with paper and skimmed, very thinly I would add. I haven't dry lined it yet, I was after any info on possible fixings to 'hang' a TV first.
    The studs are nowhere near where I want them! And to put a 'cross member' between then would end up with a bale and a half of straw on the floor!
    Thanks anyway.

5. Sm4164

Sm4164 New Member

Hi Lectrician, thanks. Please see the reply to Seneca.
    Thanks anyway.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You can't make an omelette without breaking an egg!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

So your plasterboard will sit up against the strammit boards, with no void behind?

If so, I would recommend using GRIPIT fixings (go google) - I have used these once before for a monitor in an IT dept, and they kept falling inside the wall before I had chance to get the screw in - If the strammit is tight to the plasterboard behind, I guess they cant do that, although getting the wings to move may be tricky.

If the wall isn't huge, I would consider plying it, and then attaching your plasterboard over the ply. This is often done in commercial applications and kitchens to ensure fixings are available anywhere.

http://www.gripitfixings.co.uk/

http://www.diynot.com/forums/electrics/gripit-fixings.372854/

Paradan likes this.