Damp, Condensation or Both?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Gummo, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

I think I know the answer - anyone remove remaining doubt?

DC.jpg

2. Provided it ain't summat obvious like coming through from the outside - leaking gutter, etc - then I'd hazard that is largely condensation.

I doubt that rising damp would get that high...

It might even only be condensation; I know it's particularly bad near the floor, but that could be due to the air circulation being at its worst down there.

Certainly I'd imagine that the upper part is condensation, due to poor air circulation, inadequate heating, or that being an exterior wall corner. Or all three...

Is the floor damp too? If yes, that might point to 'rising' - I wouldn't expect a well insulated material like timber to be damp from condensation.

Gummo likes this.
  3. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

The floor's completely dry, the skirting feels dry and the bare patch on the wall is dry.

4. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

Test with a damp meter first

Gummo likes this.
  5. I think he knows it's damp...

6. creon

creon New Member

is this a cavity wall, if on ground floor how high is the ground outside. above DPC level?

Gummo likes this.
  7. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

The house was built in 1930 - I doubt if there's a cavity or a DPC. The footpath outside is about 4" below.

All the internal walls were damp-proof injected in 1991.

8. 1930? When did cavities become common? (Mine is 1939 and has both cavity and DPC).

Really hard for us to tell on here what the cause is. First thoughts are 'rising' since it seems to be coming up from the floor. However, it's going a hell of a way up for rising.

Q - any other walls in the house - or that room - suffering like this? If 'no', then more likely to be rising.

Is the DPC from 1991 worth anything as a warranty?

9. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

That's the only spot. I think there's a 25 year warranty - I'll get the moisture meter on the job before I tackle anyone about it.

10. If that is the only spot, and if there are other equally 'cold' non-ventilated corners which are fine, then that would suggest 'rising' or some other external cause - leaking pointing or summat.

Gummo likes this.