Damp in new fireplace

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Markyb, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Markyb

Markyb New Member

hope this is in the right section, if not can a mod move it please
    I recently had a local company install a log burner .
    They sent a builder to knock out the old fire place .we ended up with a huge inglenook. He lined it with fire board and then put Indian stone hearth down. Then fire company installed a log burner and flue liner
    This was in April this year .
    We used the fire for a few weeks till this summer arrived . Once we stopped using it I noticed a smell coming from the ingle nook
    Front left corner,
    The board felt damp as well,
    Within a couple of weeks it was going brown and now its black
    A couple other small areas at rear now seem to be getting brown
    Contacted company and they sent builder back , he said its rising damp and needs to be treated . When I asked what caused it,he said old houses like our terrace are prone to damp , right so why not tell us this before you started.
    He reported back to shop and we rang them a couple weeks later after getting no reply back . We were basically told what do you want us to do about it.
    I recently had another builder down who also installs fireplaces.
    I showed him all my photos if the install . I kept popping in to photograph the progress . He commented on the one Which showed the hearth being laid.he said he's laid it on the brick on the chamber floor , which is also uneven , he says it should have been all lifted and a concrete slab or base put in to stop damp .
    So our damp is rising to the sides and coming up the fire board .
    Need to take fire out ,remove hearth and put base down and then inject brick to stop further spread
    Question are original installer / builder responsible and should they have done something or are we going to have to pay ourselves and put it down to bad experience
    Sorry for long posting

2. benben5555

benben5555 Member

Did you have any paperwork from the installer which stated exactly what they were responsible for?

Really they should have said at the time 'sorry but we've realised there is no base / dpm, its going to cost £x to add it'. So maybe suggest they redo it at a discounted rate or cost to make the best of tbe situation?

3. Markyb

Markyb New Member

Company been around for years and came recommended ,
    Not sure what paperwork says I'd have to check later
    But I guess it will be something like
    Remove fire and knock out , fit hearth and fire board
    So I guess they are not liable then

4. benben5555

benben5555 Member

Probably not, but best practice and common courtecy would dictate that you let the customer know what is happening. Furthermore, they should have not continued with the work as it is fairly obvious that this would happen. I think this gives you grounds to go back to them and say 'you shouldnt have carried on with the work when you saw there was no dpm'

5. Markyb

Markyb New Member

I've emailed them with the info that the other builder told us when he came last week
    Like you say had they mentioned it we would not have hesitated to get it done even at extra cost
    Would have been a lot cheaper than what it will cost now unless they are willing to fund or part fund
    The answer I was really looking for is
    Do we have a case because of what's happened or is it a case of they should have told us but didnt

6. benben5555

benben5555 Member

Unless you've got a detailed contract they aren't going to be doing anything for free is my guess

7. Markyb

Markyb New Member

I thought as much
    Looks like I'll use this other builder who came last week ,
    Then I guess I'll leave bad feedback online .
    Thanks for your help and advice

8. ger123

ger123 New Member

A few things about your post.
    Were the appliance company HETAS?
    Even with a proposed flue liner, was the flue smoke tested and swept before any other kind of work was done?
    Were the stack and terminals inspected for soundness and suitability?
    Was due diligence taken in inspecting for possible damp conditions?

Knocking out the old hearth and fire place/surround requires the in-fill of soil below the hearth to be lowered and all woodwork examined for rot. A membrane must be installed before a new hearth is poured or built. Anyone who understands this work understands that rising damp from the fendered hearth is a high possibility especially in old houses.

Written or verbal its still a contract. Your contract was with the log burner company, they sent the builder, they are responsible from start to finish unless you agreed to exclusions.

All the above are bread & butter requirements for doing the job you described, part HETAS & part common sense building
    requirements for any experienced trader.