Damp proof / plaster work

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Noel2015, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Noel2015

Noel2015 New Member

Hi.
    Just bought a property with rising damp. I am in process of stripping all the walls back to brick from floor to ceiling. I am having a chemical injected next week by a local damp proof company to all walls.
    I've had a couple of plastering companies around both offering conflicting advice.
    My preferred option as would have all new walls is to batten all walls, then board, then skim to a nice finish. My question is this - with this option, and coupled with the chemical injections, what are the chances any damp could come through again ?
    Thanks
    Noel

2. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

Firstly ask the Damp proofing company what are the acceptable re plastering methods if you don't follow their recommendations or re-plastering specification any future claim under the guarantee can be a bit of a headache, some will try to say the damp has returned due to you not following their re-plastering specification. If you use battens and plasterboard it is possible for condensation to form between the cavity as the wall will be giving off moisture as it dries and the wall will take approx 12 months to dry after the dpc has been installed. Dpc companies tend to prefer a sand/cement render with a salt retardant additive incorporated into the mix or renovating plaster to be used. Dot and dab is a no no.
    The damp company should have sent you their re plastering specification out with their quotation or report to you as well.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015