Dark wood cabinets with curved base unit?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by JJSC, Jun 12, 2015.

1. JJSC

JJSC New Member

Hello all and apologies from the outset as I'm not a kitchen fitter, but if it's ok to post here I'd be very grateful for any thoughts from those who ARE kitchen fitters or just knowledgeable about kitchens!
    I'm looking to change our kitchen, and the units I have in mind would be a nice dark wood - walnut colour or even a bit darker, ideally with a plain front. The thing is, I also need curved base units (one unit will be next to a door and I fear a pointy edge would be dangerous with toddlers and kids running around).
    Ikea have a nice dark wood door, but they don't seem to do a curved unit. I can't seem to find this combination anywhere. Does anyone know of any? (My budget is modest, unfortunately, but I just want to know what's available out there!)
    Many thanks in advance!

2. stu1312

stu1312 Member

We found wickes did a good selection of curved base units, have you thought what worktop you want as curving a laminate worktop doesn't normally look good unless it's a square edge laminate.

3. If you cannot find what you want (bearing in mind a limited budget), another solution - not so nice, obviously - is to stop the base units a bit short from the door (100 to 200mm) and then continue and curve the worktop only.

Perhaps build a wine rack under...

4. JJSC

JJSC New Member

Thanks for your replies! I almost bought a Wickes kitchen as many of their ranges have a curved option - but then I saw a friend's kitchen in dark wood and decided that I really want the dark wood look - but Wickes don't seem to have one unfortunately.
    The worktop didnt seem to be a problem, so will probably stick with the Wickes worktop (can't remember what it was, but wasn't laminate - some kind of composite).
    That is a great idea about curving the worktop only - unfortunately I think we need the full-width unit as it will be housing the sink above (so unfortunately can't stop it 100-200mm short of the door).
    Thanks for all thoughts!!

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

6. JJSC

JJSC New Member

Thanks - so sorry, I should have said in my first post which companies I've already looked at but didn't find dark wood curved - Ikea, Wickes, DIY Kitchens, Homebase....they all seem to have either wood but not curved, or curves but not in dark wood (eg some have curves in light wood colour)...

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Contact DIY Kitchens, they are very helpful & might be able to help with your problem.

Another firm who do curve units.

http://www.supplyonlykitchen.co.uk/

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

In what aspect is the unit near to the door?(where is the door in relation to the unit?) opposite, at the end or what?

Could the door be changed to hang the other way(door opening on to unit) preventing access to corner, for example?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. JJSC

JJSC New Member

HandyAndy - thanks, great idea - but it's French doors out to the garden, so can't be changed unfortunately!

10. JJSC

JJSC New Member

Think I've found one, DIY Kitchens seem to supply a different company, Second Nature, who make the Izari range which seems to be what I'm looking for!! Thanks so much to everyone for your advice and excellent creative suggestions!! x

11. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

12. JJSC

JJSC New Member

Oh thank you - that's fantastic, the Bella range is lovely!! and curved!

13. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Only thing is curved doors and cabinets are a bit expensive!! - which might be an issue on a limited budget. What you might do is soften the corner a different way - perhaps put a rounded column on the corner perhaps.

14. ramona

ramona New Member

Curved units do tend to get expensive, especially wall units as you then have to get the curved cornice and pelmet pieces. The look you will get, will be great, but it will hurt you a little more in the pocket:)