Data Management on Android vs iPhones

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Oct 24, 2016.

1. My son has an android phone, and one swipe provides him with all he needs to keep an eye on his data allowance; amount used, amount remaining, and a list of apps used with the amount each one has consumed.

Awesome.

My daughter has an iPhone (sigh...) and in the first week of use she used up all her month's data and ran up a further £27 bill - before TalkTalk themselves pulled the plug on her...

Here's the annoying thing - we, and she, have no idea what used up this data. The bill is 56 pages long, but doesn't indicate what app(s) was running when it shouldn't be.

We've sorted this to some extent - shutting off "Don't update automatically" etc - and things are more reasonable. But even tho' she's downloaded an Data Manager App from the Apple store, it only gives basic info like what amount she's consumed - and that's after manually entering the total amount she has available.

How come the Android system is sooooo much better?

And does anyone use an iPhone and has a better system to manage data use?

Thanks.

2. btiw

btiw Well-Known Member

Settings -> Mobile data.
    Apps are listed by usage and you can turn off which apps can use mobile data.
    Reset Statistics to monitor going forwards.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Android all the way for me, Apple is rotten to the core.:eek:
    Have rooted my Samsung & removed all the bloatware which normally you can't remove,etc, rooting can be dangerous & isn't for the fainthearted.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Which fertiliser did you use?

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Have nothing good to say about Apple.

6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

You said 'rooted' i thought u used a good fertziliar! lol

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Didn't you post this a couple of weeks ago?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. That's the case with my son's Android, but does it apply to iPhones too?

9. Yep - similar.

TT have generously increased the basic data allowance to 500MB (from 200MB) - and it's all gorn in 2 days as before! There is something running - which we thought we had shut down before - that's eating all the data around the clock, whether the phone is actually in use or not.

10. btiw

btiw Well-Known Member

Yes. It looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What phone, nearly all android phones have applications running in the background, some that aren't needed, but you can't turn them off, unless you root your phone to remove all the bloatware.
    Sometime you can move apps, etc to your mirco sd card.

Slightly wandering again:rolleyes::rolleyes:,just about to replace a old Samsung android with a new Motorola Moto G4 - 16 GB, (2016) still a android phone appartly they don't have unnecessary bloatware installed.
    Has a decent 13Mb camera with flash,android marshmallow os, & it's £150 or less if you hunt around, a bargain:).

http://www.trustedreviews.com/motorola-moto-g-review

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  12. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

500MB. ???? In this day and age that's a tiny amount, if she was watching videos on utube that would last about 30 mins if your lucky, as I said in the other thread get a simple only deal, unlimited everything for 13.99 a month.

13. Yes, it's not a large amount in the scheme of things, but it's not intended for watching vids or heavy-duty stuff - and she's only 13...

Oh, and it's a free SIM :)

500MB should last her a month of FaceAche, WotsApp and all that malarkey with ease. There's something amiss 'cos the download rate is crazy - and it's not even when she's using it...

14. That's very similar to what my son has on his Android.

So that image is from an iPhone App, btiw? That's exactly what we're after.

Oops - hang on, that doesn't show the usage from each App, which I'm pretty sure my son's android does (unless I read it wrong).

Is that part of the Apple OS or is it a separate app that needs downloading?

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2016
  15. My son was adamant he wanted a Samsung S5 which could also just about be found for around £150 (from China). I convinced him he could do better so he now sports an Umi Max which is Octa core, powerful graphics chip, 3GB RAM, fingerprint sensor, fully metal construction and looks simply stunning. Got it for £108 :).

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Been very tempted with the Umi Max 4G Phab @ £133 or less it's tempting, has very good specs,Marshmallow os, very good specifications, but it's a brand I'm not familar with, usually Samsung for me.
    At the moment it's a toss up between a Motorola Moto G4 - 16 GB or Umi Max 4G Phab, & I don't know which to go for.:confused:

http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_424834.html

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  17. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

This is what my Samsung S7 gives Devs , I don't think the fruit phone is as easy to give up the info, typical Apple:( Screenshot_20161025-180911.png

Deleted member 33931 and KIAB like this.
  18. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I've got an S7 edge, got it in August, since getting it I've used up my allocated Data every month, my old HTC one X never got anywhere near using it. I bought an extra 100mb (£3.00) of data as I only had 2 days before my Data top up, it lasted 4 minutes watching a video, phoned them O2 kicking of about it, got 500mb free, that doesn't take away the fact that Data gets gobbled up on its own, wished I'd bought a phone and went SIM only.

19. All I can say is, the Umi Max my son has is a beaut. Superbly made, looks very high end, performs faultlessly, and is stunning value. That's the same model you've linked to there, I believe?

The Moto is a more 'known' brand, of course.

20. Cool - I'm pretty sure that's what my son's phone shows too. It's really helpful.

So, the Q is - is there anything to make the iPhone give that kind of info?!