Day rate for a good builder

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Yes Boss, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Yes Boss

Yes Boss New Member

Chaps I am a bathroom / kitchen fitter working in the South East and am wondering what the going rate is for a builder on day rate for small building works such as knocking down walls (toilet/bath into one), bit of plastering, general building skills. Would not expect the guy to drop and run when i called just need an idea of how much you guys are going for nowadays so i can cost it all in........
    more than me no doubt ;-))
    Cheers Boss

2. Buckledupbilly

Buckledupbilly New Member

Yes Boss!!Depends on how good this builder is ...I work for nothing less than 90.00 a day .

3. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

most lads now are charging anything from 60 to 180 a day.depends how good you are and how many hours a day your working for.general labourers probably at the 50-80 mark.

4. --------- plumbing

--------- plumbing New Member

£60 aday southeast we won't get up before 12 noon for that.

5. ­

­ New Member

£60 a day! You're having a larf..........

We have to pay minimum £180 for anyone useful, some get over £300 a day.

But this work you have sounds like 'bits and pieces' so you may not need the best. You may get away with £150 upwards, anything less and expect poor work.

6. lojo

lojo New Member

General rates seem to be

around £60-£100 for a good labourer/handyman

£100-£300 for a good tradesman

In some cases the more you pay the more value for money you get, if your organised and they can get stuck in to the job

7. starlight tiles

300 a day,what is he a doctor.avoid paying by the day rate cos you get arl arses hanging the latch.you know the type turn up at 9 drink tea till 10,have over an hour for their dinner and pack up at 3.believe it or not some painters are only getting 50 a day.

8. starlight tiles

would not pay nore tha 80 a day for a labourer/jobber/builder.

9. lojo

lojo New Member

If you are going day rate route as the thread suggests then its all about having things arranged so the guy can get stuck in and not stand around. Then those that do stand around and not produce will be easy to spot, as will those that turn out a good job quickly.

There are good day rate workers around who take price in turning out good work fast and can then command their high rate.

I know blokes who charge £200-£300 who will be a better investment than others at half the price.

10. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

300 a day,what is he a doctor.avoid paying by the day
    rate cos you get arl arses hanging the latch.you know
    the type turn up at 9 drink tea till 10,have over an
    hour for their dinner and pack up at 3.believe it or
    not some painters are only getting 50 a day.

Yeah, if they are Poles. Ahalf decent decorator would laugh his head off at £50 a day

11. starlight tiles

some are believe it or not.

12. jolly bodger

jolly bodger New Member

Depends how desperate for money a guy is.

My nursey wife has a male nurse collegue who's desperate for extra cash.

Divorced and making payments for his kids, his (already) part time hours were further reduced by NHS cost cutting measures, and he can't get bank (agency) work as no NHS Trust has the cash to pay for temporary staff.

End result is he's offering his labour for $65 for a 7 hour day, mainly Painting and Dec'ing but anything considered.

I've given him a days work filling skips with hardcore and have said I'll pay him £12 an hour, if only because he's my wife's friend, I feel sorry for his situation and it'll have been a hard days work by the time he's done...

13. jolly bodger

jolly bodger New Member

Sorry, meant to add that he's obviously no P&D'er, but he's dirt cheap. Some people don't look beyond the £ signs and boggo "labour" can be dirt cheap.

He's a mid-level G grade doing his Nurse Prescribing for those who know what I'm talking about - makes me angry he's trying to make end's meet filling skips, but that's for another thread I suppose...

14. Telmay

Telmay New Member

.believe it or not some painters are only getting 50 a day

I would not get out of bed to **** for that sort of money, as a decorator I start at £150-£200 a day, thats for joe public and as a subbie - but worth the extra money as I can (a)think for myself (b)solve problems (c)dont **** off down the boozer or bookies when im bored (d) job gets finished

Pay peanuts get monkies

JB - very noble mate

15. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

This is a how longs a length of string question.

For some folk a good builder means that nice bloke who does odd jobs for £70 a day.

For others good means a professional tradesman who produces top quality work and is in demand £200-£300 per day.

16. starlight tiles

where you guy's based paying £300 a day.no labourer/builder getting that in north west mate .

17. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

£300 a day!!!!!!!!!!
    Not in the north east.
    If you are paying staff best part of £40 an hour how much have you got to charge the punter and turn a profit?

18. deadonmate

deadonmate New Member

If it's Maz.......£15 a day especially for door fitting lol

19. starlight tiles

who woke you up deadon

20. ­

­ New Member

£300 a day not uncommon in South Bucks, some I know are getting £400 a day o run a job.

These are day-rates for top blokes but you can earn this on pricework too.

But you have to be very very good!