Dc Motor & Dimmer switches!

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Cosha, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Cosha

Cosha New Member

hey all i need some help

i have a slow (120 rpm) Electric DC motor that i need to have variable speed on.

i was told that a normal house hold dimmer switch could be used as its only running of a 12volt batt.

is this information correct because i cant figure out what wires goes in where (as im only using 2 core wire)

i have "c" "L1" "L2" where do i put what wires in where?

if i cant do it can some one help me locate i inexpencive one?

basicly my old mans broke the switch "dimmer" on his electric golf trolley, and i need a replacement as he is strating to struggle to pull his golf bag 18 holes!

any help would be great

Thanks all

Ben

2. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

3. Cosha

Cosha New Member

thanks for the quick reply but i have used that and it does not work im using a 1gang 40 - 400 watt dimmer switch?

am i being really thick could you tell me how to wire it up do i put the c end conneted to the motor terminal and then l1 to + of the battery and the other - from the battery to the - on the motor?

Thnaks ben

4. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Cannot see any reason why you shouldn't use a dimmer, it's the same as a wire wound motor controller!

Try a bog standard 200W version;-)

5. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

am i being really thick could you tell me how to wire it up do i put the c end conneted to the motor terminal and then l1 to + of the battery and the other - from the battery to the - on the motor?<

Yes, that seems OK..

6. Cosha

Cosha New Member

thanks for the reply

the dimmer switch i have is this

"hamilton litestat 40-400watt 2way 250v 50hz"

most of that is gargen to me but i know you guys undertand!

hey im a locksmith im rubiish at electrical!

ha

ben

7. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

8. Cosha

Cosha New Member

am i being really thick could you tell me how to wire it up do i put the c end conneted to the motor terminal and then l1 to + of the battery and the other - from the battery to the - on the motor?<

Yes, that seems OK..

That doesnt work it dont buzz or make a sound it dont do anything!?

i guess it must be the dimmer?

what about a 12volt dimmer switches? i think they use them on boats or motor homes? do they have a simple 2 core one in one out connections?

:)

9. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

I assume you have pushed the button in? It is a 2 way device?

And you've turned the control backwards and forwards?

And as good measure shorted the 2 wires togethor to make sure the motor/battery loop is OK?

10. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

What's the power requirements of the 12V motor (or current)?

11. Cosha

Cosha New Member

connecting the motor terminals makes the motor turn perfectly i just need it to be varible as he needs to slow it down speed it up etc...

test's as follows lol

push switch down - rotate fully clock wise and then anti-clockwise

push switch down (again) - rotate fully clock wise and then anti-clockwise

The motor has no markings on it as suck as ratings its blank but they cell is a 12v .7ah Pb

Made in china (what a surprise) :)

have you seen a 12 v dimmer i have done serches but cant locate any?

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

What makes you think a 250v dimmer can control a 12v motor ?

Mr. HandyAndy - really

13. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Then as far as I can tell, the resistance of the light dimmer is too high and therfor the startup current of the motor is probably not avaialable.

Too low a current and the motor will not turn.

14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Think rheostat on the positive line..think 12v drop down voltage.. will the dropped voltage be enough to slow a motor probably not designed to go below 120 RPM in the first place..ie give it 10 v and it will probably stop and buzz.

15. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Mr. HandyAndy - really

I was beginning to get lonely trying to assist everybody here!!

16. Cosha

Cosha New Member

sorry mr handy man it was suggest to me that was all and i work in a hardware shop so i picked one up (well and paid for it lol)

maybe so theres not even a buzz!

are 12volt dimmer switches on the market?

17. Cosha

Cosha New Member

the motor was designed to go from 120 rpm max to 15 rpm so its quite a slow turning motor! dont forget its off a walking pace golf trolley.

cheers

18. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

What is the motor used for anyway?

19. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

AH, insufficient current available, does this normally run off a lead acid battery?

20. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Oh right a trolley motor..forget the dimmer switch idea it will probably never work..you need a purpose made controller for the application it is being used for.these controllers are heavy duty I would think.