Dc616 misfiring

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Madmattmcmad, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Madmattmcmad

Madmattmcmad New Member

I've got me a dewalt dc616 straight finish nailer, I've had it for a few years now and had no issues with it. It's misfired maybe twice in that time, it's much better than my old paslode (in my humble opinion anyway). But. Today it's started to misfire, quite a lot too. Because I've never had to strip it down and rebuild it every 2 hours (like the paslode) I don't know how to fix it! The firing pin looks straight, the bands are all still there and I can't find any trouble shooting or maintainance guide. Anyone got any ideas?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Looking at the parts diagram, it's a nightmare compared to a plastode.
    Read some where about the 'return spring' & one other spring being worn out was the most common cause of misfires, that's why I stuck with plastode,plus I find that easier to strip.
    Better to return it to Dewalt & let them service it.

http://www.mmtoolparts.com/store/dc616-1-parts

3. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I have the angled version, excellent pin guns,

Give it a good dose of wd40 and hold the shoe back and fire off 20 or so.
    Probably just needs a bit of a clean, if that doesn't work, poss a new firing pin

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sometimes WD40 isn't the answer to a problem.

5. Sunto64

Sunto64 Member

I have got the dewalt nail gun and the only time I have had any problems is low battery and I have had to push the firing pin back up into the body to re set it.
    It's been a good gun for me.

wiggy likes this.
  6. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

wd40 will help clean it kiab,

7. Madmattmcmad

Madmattmcmad New Member

is wd40 going to be ok with the rubber? I've seen a lot of stuff that says no cleaning with any fluids, wd40 I'm counting as a fluid.. Maybe?

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I'm of the opinion, it will do more harm than good.

In the manual is say the following.

Lubrication

CAUTION: NEVER spray or in any other way apply lubricants or
    cleaning solvents inside the tool. This can seriously affect the life and
    performance of the tool.

DEWALT tools are properly lubricated at the factory and are ready for
    use. However, it is recommended that, once a year, you take or send the
    tool to a certified service center for a thorough cleaning and inspection

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  9. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

The only rubber bit I know of on the gun is the soft tip which you can take off.

KIAB, do you have one of these guns.... no

I do and when it plays up, which is very rarely I either use some pass lode cleaning fluid or wd40.

if cleaning it doesn't work, change the firing pin

10. Madmattmcmad

Madmattmcmad New Member

the two rubber band things are rubber, surely! What would you clean, and where wiggy?

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No I don't, but applying flammable solvent to cordless nail gun is asking for trouble.

12. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

WD40 isn't flammable iirc, As always, many ways to skin the proverbial in each others eyes, I have noticed that people tend to be rather more provocative on non school nights though tbh.....

13. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Don't spray the motor, only spray where you slide the pins and where the firing pin is, there is no rubber in there, you know the bit at the front that you can unclip, in there..

14. Madmattmcmad

Madmattmcmad New Member

I've just tried the gun again, it fired 6 or 7 brads straightway no problem then misfired 4, 5 times. The motor starts up, then when you pull the trigger it fires but the impact sounds softer, it's like the firing pin isn't being fired as hard as it should be. I'd clean it out if it was a paslode..

15. Madmattmcmad

Madmattmcmad New Member

Cool thanks, I can't see what harm wd40 can do to the metal there anyway..

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

According to the WD40 site.

WD-40® aerosol is considered flammable for other reasons beyond flashpoint. Aerosols must be tested for “flame extension” (how far a spray will carry a flame), and “flashback” (whether the spray carries the flame back toward the user). WD-40® does not have flashback, but can carry a flame forward, so it is categorized as flammable.

So in some situations it's inflammable.

17. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

18. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Check that the firing pin isn't misshapened a touch, also check that the nails are sliding up to the top properly, a bit of grit or stone can cause them to misalign and then you can get problems with them not firing properly. Great nailer looking forward to the XR one coming out. Its not far off as far as I know.

I am with Wiggy on the WD40. It helps to keep everything working right. Whenever mine has been serviced (once!) it has come back with plenty of WD40 on it!

wiggy likes this.
  19. Madmattmcmad

Madmattmcmad New Member

Flammable or not flammable, turns out I haven't got any wd40 anyway hahaaa

wiggy likes this.
  20. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

KIAB, there is no spark on a Dewalt as its flywheel driven not gas. I think it wil be fine.