Dead socket

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by vlado, Sep 26, 2014.

1. vlado

vlado New Member

I have found a single 13amp socket in a living room with the front replaced with a blanking plate. The cables are connected to plastic connector blocks and are dead. I wanted to change this socket to a double socket. Why would the socket be blanked off and the cables dead? Can it be re-activated?

2. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Its possible there were problems with the cables supplying the socket and its been cut out from below/above.

3. vlado

vlado New Member

Thanks for your help. I think it's not worth finding out where it's been cut off and then why but to run a spur from a good socket when needed. At this time I can remove the blanked off socket, secure the dead cable in the plaster and make good the skirting board.

4. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Just ensure these cables are indeed dead and not going to be re-energised at a later date.
    If this were the case, you would end up with live cables buried in plaster with no accessory visible.
    To the unknown, someone may wish to mount something on that part of the wall and come in to contact with them.