Deadleg in central heating system capped with John Guest Fitting

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Deuxbiers, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

It hasn't killed me yet! :D

longboat likes this.
  2. Now that would allow me to sleep well at night... :rolleyes::p

Joe95 likes this.
  3. Did you go around the rest of his system and replace all the other push-fits too? ;)

longboat likes this.
  4. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Is that the fear of an inevitable leak or the fact you've lost 5p? :p:p

5. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

Fortunately it was just the one, a vanity unit that had been removed from a bedroom.

6. :D

Er, I mean Barsteward...

7. Phew - thank gawd it was only the one.

(Yes, I'm still being sarcy.)

KIAB likes this.
  8. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

Do you mean to say I didn't sleep a wink last night for nothing? I thought you were being serious and hurtful

9. Deuxbiers

Deuxbiers New Member

Thanks for all your replies. Seems the general consensus is not to use plastic end caps if avoidable.

Given the disaster he made of the shower install:
    (chopped end of fixed riser pipe to adjust length so it would fit the bracket which he measured incorrectly. Realised he'd also cut off the thread at the bottom of pipe so now unable to screw nut down to secure to rest of water supply! His brilliant bodge was to ram the end of the pipe home and seal with silicone and ptfe tape!!)

So we have zero confidence in this guy and have canceled his cheque. Of course he's complaining he can't restock so can't work.

What's the opinion of professional plumbers? Should we pay him anything?

10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

He should be given the chance to rectify to your satisfaction, so tell him you'll pay him when he's replaced and fitted the damaged parts correctly.

11. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Horses for courses really.
    I don't think it's fair to slate the guy for using them as push fit is a fully accepted system these days. Phone the manufacturer and I'm sure they'll remove any doubts you may have.

As CGN has said, you can't refuse payment just because the shower hasn't been installed correctly. You must first give him an opportunity to sort it out, or come to an agreement on final payment to cover your costs to have someone else do it correctly.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  12. As CGN and Longs say above.

Make a 'snagging' list, making sure it is valid and reasonable (take photos in case the whole situation goes pear-shaped).

Then sit down with the guy - or write/email him if you can't face that - and ask him to sort them. If he refuses, then you can get someone else to do it and use the money you would have paid the first guy to cover the cost - but you need to be fair; only withhold the necessary amount. And make sure you inform him of what you intend to do before you do it.

But DON'T just refuse him access to sort the job as, most likely, you would be the one at fault.

And, there is nothing wrong with plastic push-fits. If you are getting that pernickety, then my sympathies lie with the poor plumber :p

longboat and KIAB like this.