Dealing with an overloaded spur

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by NigelBn, Jan 24, 2015.

1. NigelBn

NigelBn New Member

Hi, when the kitchen in our house was replaced last year, so was the ring circuit with new cabling and sockets etc - this was connected to its own RCD in the consumer unit. Now I am about to redo the Utility room next door I have done some tracing and checking and find the utility is supplied by a single 2.5mm T&E spurred off this ring. It seems the sparky re-used some of the old ring main in the "non-kitchen" end of the kitchen which only had a couple of low level sockets and made this part of the new ring, probably without realising this spur existed under the floor upstairs. Hope that makes sense!

Concern is this spur is supplying washing machine, tumble dryer, freezer and a couple of over counter double sockets in the utility and seems a bit much to me! Now the end of this spur is not far from where one of the kitchen ring sockets is placed on the other side of the wall. My question is can i drill through the wall and loop the spur back in to the ring - effectively forming a figure 8 I guess. I can't get to the ends of the "link" to remove this and make it a single loop. Advice appreciated.

2. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

No, it needs making in to a 20A Radial back to the CU or converting to a Ring.

You can however make a Full Loop by using crimps at the Kitchen Sock

FatHands likes this.
  3. NigelBn

NigelBn New Member

OK thanks. As i say i can't get at the start of the spur - not withut removing fitted wardrobes upstairs or the new kitchen ceiling anyway. However your reply did make me think of the alternative which is to isolate this where it enters the utility and run a new loop from the kitchen socket making it one big ring which i guess is what i will do.

Thanks again.

4. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Figure of 8 is not permitted but using two sockets to terminate both ends of the ring and then extend the ring is permitted. Either use a duel back box [​IMG] or you can use a double back box with a grid face plate and two single sockets [​IMG] and a 4 module faceplate [​IMG] so you have two single sockets to split the ring with to extend into next room the duel back box and two sockets means you have switches on the sockets and I always like switched sockets but the grid option you lose the switches but it fits in a standard twin socket box. Of course before extending a ring you should test the loop impedance to ensure it's not exceeded but it would seem in your case you have little option. To me a dryer, washer/drier, oven, immersion heater, and any other large power user which uses power over an extended time should have a dedicated supply but saying that my dryer does no have one but there is not much on that ring.

FatHands likes this.