Decent flooring

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jay459, Jul 20, 2015.

1. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

DA. I go with Quick-Step every single time. Just finished a Vintage Oak one and it looks the business.

Much easier to lay as it can be tapped home flat or clicked in on the tilt whatever suits.

Customer was same as many. Originally definitely want a solid floor. I suggest a laminate. They see the samples and now its in they absolutely love it!

2. snezza30

snezza30 Member

I'd recommend QuickStep as well. Fitted loads and loads of it over many years.
    They also do a really good selection of matching transition profiles, skirtings, quadrants etc.

Their waterproof flooring (AquaStep) is also excellent.

Snezza.

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

What do you lay the AquaStep on Snezza? I laid it a couple of times and used the blue boards as recommended and I wasn't impressed as it was very soft and deflected a lot when stepped on.

4. Thanks GB and snezz - I'll def check them out.

Is this stuff stocked by flooring retailers or is it a direct purchase?

5. Leontau

Leontau New Member

sorry I may send twice without notice, see how to delete one.....

6. Leontau

Leontau New Member

laminate wood floors surface is actually impregnated papers stick on HDF top, some AC4 rating is regarded as most durable for common house usage, life span 12 years plus.

7. Thanks Leon.

By the way, have you inadvertently downloaded and installed a trojan that converts your keywords into sales links?

8. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

The contact link in his link takes you here......Sanzhou Industrial Zone, Lunjiao, Shunde, Foshan P.R. China.

9. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Its fairly widely stocked, but prices do vary a great deal. I get mine from International Decorative Surfaces who I believe are the actual importers of it and supply all the retailers.

As Snezza rightly says the trims and accessories are superb. Their Incizo door bar/threshold/end trim is a fantastic product which can be easily altered with the supplied splitting tool to cover just about any required transition.

10. snezza30

snezza30 Member

@goldenboy.

I always use the Blue underlay. It is part of the warranty stipulation that it is used.
    The underlay can be rather soft/fragile during the installation process and care needs to be taken to avoid damaging it etc, but once covered with the AquaStep, I've never had any issues at all.

I also buy all my QuickStep & AquaStep from IDS in Woodford Green.

Those Incizo profiles are great. The only downside to them is if they ever need to be removed for some reason then they need to be replaced.

They also do an inset removable Door Mat with an inset frame that matches the Incizo profile. It can be fitted with either AquaStep or Quickstep.

11. Sis not bought her hoosie yet, but mum-in-law has chust had a tumble-drier leak which has damaged her Khars wood floor...

She's now looking at replacing the whole area in the kitchen but going for a complete contrast to the dark oak floor she had 'cos it can't be got any more.

She's had peeps round to look and quote. Some say 'Karndean' is the best - this is stick-down vinyl, isn't it?

I have mentioned your recommendations of 'Quick-Step', so she's completely open to suggestions.

Q - the original floor was £35 m2 around 13 years ago, so she's looking at an equivalent quality. Where does QuickStep fit in to the quality hierarchy? Are there even better options to this?

The new floor will have to match the level of the rest of the house which has the same Khars flooring (18mm thick?); any thoughts whether it's best go for thick plywood layer with stick-down vinyl, or thinner ply with clip-together laminate on top? Any obvious pros and cons (yes, it's a kitchen area)?

Many thanks for any hints and suggestions.