Decent opacity/cost emulsion

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by CGN, Jun 18, 2015.

1. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Just wondered what people's thoughts were regarding getting good coverage at a reasonable cost as I'm doing quite a lot of renters and use a lot of white and dare I say it - magnolia :)

I've tried most of the usual suspects, but could ideally do with large tubs at a decent price and lately I'm leaning towards vinyl Matt as its a bit more durable without being overly shiny and garish!

Are there any gems I've missed?

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Brewers own paint range Albany, white and maggy vinyl matt 12ltr tubs for the price of 10ltrs good coverage reasonable cost ideal for renters.

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Thanks Astra...do you know how much they cost?

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You would have to check with Brewers as sometimes they have a promotion offer but don't quote me but I think around £42.00 per 12ltr tub. Coverage is 17 square metres per litre.

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Just seen our hosts are knocking out Leyland vinyl matt white and maggy under £30 for 10 ltrs, might be a good choice for renters if the costs are tight!

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Thanks again Astra. It's one of those things where we've all tried various paints, think we've found something that covers well for the price then get disappointed a few tins in :)

Seems like a lot of paint/batches become inconsistent over time...or perhaps I've become lazy/jaded!! :))

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I use a lot of white and maggy on renters and have found the Albany range to give a good finish, yes we all have tried the cheaper paints and we find that they are cheap for a reason!:(

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Cheers Astra. Yep...don't tend to use cheap paints and I suppose it gets to a point where most 'trade paints' are pretty similar etc. Not being a time served decorator, I can only judge coverage/cost by my own experiences etc. I know the 'real cost' is in the labour, but still seeking a decent reasonably priced paint. Maybe asking too much! :)

10. Boolay

Boolay Member

Macpherson emulsion is very good...and cheap (sorry, reasonably priced)

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Thanks Boolay. I've seen it about, but seems to becoming a bit more if a fixture in certain stores. Will give it a go at some point.

12. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

Armstead emulsion is pretty good too .

CGN likes this.
  13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

14. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Funny Gatt...as it was on special in Dulux DC, so came away with 60l of vinyl Matt day after my first post. Yup, covers very well...recommended.

Gatt likes this.
  15. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select