Decking advice please

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Mister dave, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Mister dave

Mister dave New Member

Hi everyone, I am a DIY homeowner and am planning to build a deck on a sloping site at the bottom of my garden, approx 6m x 3m.

I have calculated the quantity of 100 x100x2.4m posts and 150 x50 joists etc., with posts at 1.8m and joists at 400 centres. Before I order any timber I have a question about the 100 x100 posts.

Because the 6m length of decking will be raised about 500mm above the ground, I am concerned about making the handrail rock solid. Should I cut 2.4m posts, set in concrete, around the perimeter long enough to fix the balustrade and handrails directly to them, i.e. 1100 mm above the decking boards.

Or will it be sufficiently strong, and look better, if I bolt newel posts to the joists?

I think the first way will be stronger, but may look a bit naff. Any thoughts?

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

The type of posts in this pic are generally 1800mm long, if your deck is 500mm out of the ground and you want 1100mm above the deck then you will get 200mm set in the ground plus it will be tied into the frame work of the deck, so should be firm enough for the hand rail/spindles.
    Still use the other posts you have to support the frame of the deck, these posts are for decorative purposes mainly.

A8371.JPG

3. Mister dave

Mister dave New Member

Thanks to Phil for a great suggestion. I read another thread where the author had just bolted newel posts to the ring frame and complained it was shaky.

I think I will use the 100x100 posts at each corner of the frame to locate each end of the balustrade and then use Phil's idea for the newel posts in between.

Might sound a bit over the top but I only want to do this once.

Any other views or comments gratefully received.

Dave

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I'd feel much happier with those posts going right to the ground.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

My reference was only for the type of post, if you read what I wrote, you will see that I suggest that.

On that particular job, so would I the way they are is dangerous.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Yeh I know you did(and that's what I'd do).

Just saying, I wouldn't feel safe with that one in the picture.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. Mister dave

Mister dave New Member

Thanks for the constructive comments.

Just to clarify, are you suggesting the 100x100 sub frame support posts should be used to attach the balustrade, or are you concurring with Phil's suggestion of Concreting the ends of the newel posts in the ground?

The area above ground is the 6m length and one corner and safety is my main concern.

Thanks for all your comments/ views.....

Dave

8. Mr. Handyandy

I would be using the posts all in.

Concreted into the ground, the decking joists fixed to them, the ballustrade fixed to them.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. Mister dave

Mister dave New Member

Handy andy and Phil the paver, many thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

I think I will go with 100x100 posts in cement and fix the balustrades to them. Having also looked at the cost of newel posts, compared to 100x100 posts, this way will also save me a few quid.

Thanks again...

Dave