decking end grain treatment advice

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Dazuk75, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Dazuk75

Dazuk75 New Member

Hi, I recently inherited a large tired deck. One of the jobs was to reduce the size of it. I cut a meter off one end but now realise I have to somehow treat the ends as they are now bare. I used screwfix no nonsense decking oil on the top which brought the deck up a treat. Can/should I use it on the exposed ends?
    Cheers
    Daz

2. Yes, but I'd be personally inclined to repeatedly brush the ends with a clear wood preserver first.

This stuff claims to be good and more effective than solvent-based products: http://www.screwfix.com/p/sika-wood-preserver-clear-5ltr/47030#

Hold a wide container under each end to catch the excess, and liberally brush the stuff on to the ends - if the timber is dry (which it would have to be), the stuff should soak in nicely. Keep brushing it on wet until you've had enough.

Then move on to the next one... o_O

Give it a day or so to dry and then repeat with deck oil.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

As above, but careful where you splash it, you don't know how it will react with the newly applied oil(it may take the oil off, maybe in spot shapes which could be hard to disguise again).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. Dazuk75

Dazuk75 New Member

Thanks for the reply. That looks just the stuff I need. I may get it in dark oak as I've built some planters with the off cuts of decking. Do you think this would be suitable for wood that is in contact with the ground ?

5. It'll obviously help, but you should really try and keep timber - especially end grain - away from ground contact, even if it's just a quarter inch gap.

Even slipping a few bits of slate or stone under the bottom rails at a few points will help hugely. And try and make the slate or stone a bit smaller than the contact area so's water doesn't 'pool' on it.

I suspect the single most effective treatment for ground-contact timber is creosote (which you are no longer supposed to use - carcinogenic, I understand) or 'creosote substitute'.

If your planters have corner posts which will act as legs in contact with the ground, then absolutely sit these post ends in a tub of 'creo substit' for a good few hours before then brushing the rest of it over. Similarly with any end grain facing upwards - like the tops of the corner posts! - give them a darn good soaking too.

GazzaA14 likes this.