Decking foundations

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jimbowiggins, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Jimbowiggins

Jimbowiggins New Member

Hi,
    Planning a 3.3 x 10 m deck, the frame will be 6x2 joists. I plan to rest the frame on concrete pads set just 2-3 cm above ground level. So it will sit almost on the gound. At one end I will build a 5-6 seater L shaped bench with joists, covered in decking. At the other end (in summer months) will be placed an inflatable juccuzi (up to 1950kg). My Q's are
    - can I place a 30cm x 30 cm paving stone on the ground in places to support the frame without digging a small foundation beneath it ?
    - if a foundation is needed, how deep beneath the paving pads, and what combination of hardcore/stones/gravel etc..
    - does the heavy weight of jacuzzi warrant deeper foundations ? Just beneath it or all over ? If so what depth / details.
    I am not a complete newbie re decking, I just want to get this right without over-engineering ......

2. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Had a quick look online http://www.planhelp.com/public/104.cfm and it seems that the lowest supporting load for bare ground is just under 10 tonnes/square metre, (table here actually shows 2000 pounds/sq foot as it is american) so your 0.3m x 0.3m pad is good for about 900kg. Prob more. Don't know how many pads you have but assuming a few, I think you should be fine without digging out but let's see what the pro's say.

Jimbowiggins likes this.
  3. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

unless the top soil was laid down or dug up recently it will be firm enough to take the weight. But slabs need to be well placed if they take some weight. I don't use slabs as it suits me to dig out a spot and set the post into that with concrete.

Jimbowiggins likes this.
  4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If the ground is firm I set in concrete breeze blocks too rest the joists on, stronger than paving slabs, but easier than casting concrete.

FatHands and Jimbowiggins like this.
  5. Scotmac

Scotmac Member

To be honest I've only ever used posts with concrete but if you didn't want to do that I would use breeze blocks like Phil says. Paving slabs might be absolutely fine but if you know you are going to be putting a serious weight on it I wouldn't risk the hassle of having to re do it all. Good luck

Jimbowiggins likes this.
  6. Jimbowiggins

Jimbowiggins New Member

Thanks for the reply, would you recommend any compacted gravel or chippings under the blocks ?

7. Scotmac

Scotmac Member

What is the soil like in your garden?

8. Jimbowiggins

Jimbowiggins New Member

Errr...., with regards to firmness / drainage ?
    I am building the deck at the bottom of the garden on what used to be lawn. Sorry, dont know how to gauge the firmness, just normal soil I suppose....

9. Scotmac

Scotmac Member

Sorry I meant in terms of firmness. Basically you want it to be as compact as possible so if it is loose you would want to get a roller and compact it down. Also you are going to want to put down a weed barrier as it's so close to the ground. You could do it with slabs if that's what you feel most comfortable with and to be honest it will prob be fine. You just want to make sure the ground is as solid as possible. It isn't like you're far off the ground if anything was to collapse anyway :p

10. Jimbowiggins

Jimbowiggins New Member

Thanks Scotmac, I have a tamper I'll use beforehand. Its got to be quicker than digging deep foundations..!

11. Scotmac

Scotmac Member

No worries. You said yourself you aren't a newbie so when you are laying it out you can always just strengthen extra bits where you see fit. It will all work out fine. Good luck and enjoy the Jacuzzi!!

12. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

foundations are for houses, the idea being to get down to the subsoil, where its stronger. you won't need to do that. besides the whole deck isn't likely to suddenly fall into the bowls of the earth due to its own weight.

if the top soil can be dug out with your own hands its loose and you will need to get down deeper to find something solid, and it probably won't be that deep. if you need to use a fork or spade to get into the top soil its firm enough, and you can put down a slab and build on that.

Jimbowiggins likes this.
  13. Jimbowiggins

Jimbowiggins New Member

Thank you all for the advice and links