Decking from sleepers!

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Bonehead33, May 4, 2015.

1. Bonehead33

Bonehead33 New Member

Hi all

I've laid a large deck from hardwood sleepers. They have gone down well but not all edges butt up tight against each other- they are old sleepers and there is up to a 15mm or so gap in places.

My question is how or with what would I fill this gap with? I thought about pointing with a dark dye mixed in like for paving slabs but I'm not sure it would look right.

Any alternatives and ideas greatly received!
    Thanks

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Can you post a pic or two, with any form of timber decking you should leave a small gap between each plank, I know these are sleepers, but they will still expand and contract with different temperatures.

3. Bonehead33

Bonehead33 New Member

image.jpg

Ignore the string things they are fibre optic cables! They are around 40 years old and are Azobe hardwood so of all woods I would say they would expand and contract the least but I accept what your saying about it.
    Just haven't a clue how to fill the gaps to neaten it up though

4. Wow - nice :)

Simple answer - leave the gaps. They look awesome and they look 'right'.

Certainly cement mortar/grout will crack and fall out, and will probably look pretty daft whilst it's still in there.

If you really felt you had to fill them, I suspect a dark brown frame sealant/mastic from a skeleton gun run in there - but kept a bit down from the top surface, I think - would be ok, although 15mm is a very big gap to fill.

But - leave it :)

5. Phil the Paver

Nice, in all honesty I wouldn't fill the gaps, looks good as is.

6. Bonehead33

Bonehead33 New Member

7. Phil the Paver

See I knew it was the right thing to say, DA on board too. :D:D:D

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sharp sand.

9. Bonehead33

Bonehead33 New Member

I'm glad you like them- they are 100kg each and took a week to cut and place, bloody things. Still, they ain't going to rot !

The thing is my fibre optics need something to be fixed in as they are going to poke up and be cut level with the top level of the sleepers. All sparkly like!

10. Bonehead33

Bonehead33 New Member

Is there some sort of dark course grit that solidifies when compressed and stays put? I picture ants dancing with sand on my new deck so something former might be alright? Forgive me I know jack sh:t about aggregates etc (can you tell)

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Post-crete with some black powder colour added.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Leave the gaps, adds character.:)

13. Ah, I thought the fibre optic was for soooper-fast BBand :)

I simply wouldn't use a non-flexible, brittle material like mortar/concrete.

But I think this could work - chust name your finish; crushed glass? Nae prob. Black stone? Ditto. Mix, trowel in, and pack down...

http://www.richcoltd.com/crushed_glass.htm

14. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

I can't offer any suggestions on how to fill the gaps, I just came on to tell you what a great looking deck you have there - very nice job!

15. Bonehead33

Bonehead33 New Member

Crushed glass? What a fantastic idea!!!! I knew coming on here would pay dividends !

I take it that it is bonded so it stays put? That could really work
    Quite excited

Thanks for the compliments too :)

16. Don't get carried away - we were complimenting the sleepers, not the sleepyhead who fitted them...

Ok, ok, ok - you've done an awesome job :)

Anyways, please do bear in mind that by filling these gaps you will be seriously hampering drainage.
    As they stand, these sleepers should require minimum maintenance, but once you stuff something in them gaps it will need regular cleaning - possibly light jet washing - to keep it looking good. And the timber will be more constantly damp too since the rain won't be able to drain away immediately, and these top-sides of the sleepers will be kept damp for a looong time...

Please give that some thought first. I do think your ideas are brilliant, but you might have cause to regret it.

17. What you really need is a very long 2mm drill bit that's guaranteed not to snap (ie - it doesn't exist) and drill the fibre holes at random right through the akshull sleepers. Leave the gaps as they are.

That way it'll still look like a fab rustic decking - until night falls...

Are these sleepers suspended on a decking frame? Ie - do you have access to the undersides? If so, then it would be possible (tho' not easy) to drill smallish access holes of say 6mm dia from the underside, stopping an inch or so from the top surface, and then drilling fibre-sized holes (1.5mm?) from the top to meet them. Bring your fibres up in random places on the sleepers, seal and cut flush.

(A bit like the channel tunnel meeting in the middle after being started from two countries - except more difficult... :rolleyes: )

18. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

A great looking deck . Just leave it as it is IMHO. Especially as I like sleepers as I like railways. No anorak, Thomas the Tank etc. jokes as I have heard them all before. You will have to be careful wearing high heels though!:):rolleyes::)

Big Dunk likes this.
  19. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

Very nice that deck is as already said leave as is, it's the character of it.

malkie129 and PaulBlackpool like this.
  20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Leave the gaps, forget about fitting fibre optics. At the moment it looks classy not tacky.

Big Dunk and PaulBlackpool like this.