Decking on a slope

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Minority, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Minority

Minority New Member

Hi,

Just looking for a bit of advice really and to check that my plans are sound.

I have a garden which slopes up hill away from the house and I have dug into the bank to create a 2m flat(ish) deep by 4m long area which I want to deck.

The decking will actually be 3m deep with roughly a meter being higher off the ground than the other 2m.

I plan to use
    2 x 150x50 4m lengths joists
    10 x 150 x50 3m length joists
    the brace between them every 500mm
    Roughly 21 decking boards at 4m long.

My questions are:
    I was contemplating using adjustable joist feet, 20 in all at 400mm spacing along the 4main length with 2nd row at 2m deep.

Does this seem reasonable?

For the area which is higher off the ground I don't imagine it to be any more than 200 to 300mm and I can't decide on what to use here.
    Should I use adjustable feet, posts or something else. Obviously adjustable feet or blocks etc would require me to dig level an area slightly.

Any help be much appreciated

2. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

I would not use the adjustable feet thing. They would need their own base to be effective,all a bit fiddly. Decks can only be reasonably accurate by the nature of their lumpen mass.

I usually make decks in smaller sections and get alignments and levelling with strings. In your case I would have a temporary structure at the front to rest the deck on whilst you get your setting out correct. The main rear can be packed out and the front given some legs set in concrete footings.

3. Minority

Minority New Member

Cheers for the reply.

I presumed the adjustable risers would make my life easier by allowing me to tweak them to get whole structure level.

If not using the risers what do you suggest as packer I am trying to keep as low to the ground as possible (risers would of been 50mm plus 150mm joist and I was planning on sitting them on engineered bricks dug into ground so level.)

I was planning on popping a temp structure at front while I got the rear settled and levelled then digging and popping in front post to hold structure. Should I let the joist sit on post or bolt them via the side?

You say two smaller structures are saying it might be better to build deck structure as 2 x 2 by 3 and bolt together?

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Whack your legs in over length, level your decks, bolt together, cut legs to length.

5. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

I would have something of a slope on it for drainage. With the deck overhanging by a metre, and people wanting to gather at the edge...... you need cross bracings under the deck to stop it all getting into any movement. Also considerations will be railings and access to the deck.