Decking over paving stones

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Pete DJC, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Pete DJC

Pete DJC New Member

Hi,
    I have a patio approx 198sq ft/18m sq, lying approx 1ft below doorway. It is large, old paving stones that seem to have been laid years ago just onto the earth. Several have now sunk a little, so it is all pretty uneven. I'd like to lay a wooden deck. Can this just be laid on top of the paving stones? Do I need to remove stones? Does the decking need to be fastened down?
    Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. jth123

jth123 New Member

I've built mine partly off paving so shouldn't be an issue. Personally I would put a couple of fixings in as the deck might start to creep in time.
    Only other thing I'd suggest is something to prevent your decking joists sitting in water on the paving - if you staple some dpc to the joists where they touch the paving that will help stop wet rot.

3. Pete DJC

Pete DJC New Member

Thanks. "couple of fixings"..can you specify? I'm a beginner but keen to complete my project.

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Yes it ok to go over the existing paving.

Best bet if you have enough room is to set your joists on legs so they are off the paving allowing an airflow around them, most of your legs can sit directly onto the paving, but it would be wise to set some of them into the ground to stop movement in the frame of the decking.

Don't forget to fit a membrane to suppress weed growth.