Decking

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Ieuan, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Ieuan

Ieuan New Member

HI All

I have a question, hopefully some of you will be able to answer.

I'm soon due to start a decking project at my in-laws place, they previously had paving which over the years has become uneven and lifted, due to the surface and surrounding trees/roots and want it replaced.

My idea was to level the ground and place the frame on some of the slaps (they don't want the decking raised) or dig a vary of holes and clement and place the frame on this.

Any advice please

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

You could put the frame on some of the slabs since you already have them, don't forget to put a weed membrane down first.

3. Micky D.

Micky D. New Member

Leun hi,

I did exactly what you are intending 9 years ago, I used 3"x3" battening and once leveling them laid concrete mounds to keep the level, I did not dig down just went directly off the slabs of the old patio and my decking is still of a reasonable level. Dig down if you have a mind to as this will make sure of a continued level.
    I would urge you to give a double coating of oil to your support frame before laying your decking as I am having to lift mine this year to replace some parts of the frame that has rotted.
    Every year my decking panels expand to a point where they buckle against each other even though I laid them with a 4mm gap, I would suggest to you that you lay your decking with a view that you can take it up if necessary after the first year, once having established how much of an expansion you experience during the winter months.
    Re the weed membrane make sure it is the type that allows drainage.

Rgds Micky D.

4. Phil the Paver

It was 2 years ago, its probably rotted away now. :D:D

5. Ieuan

Ieuan New Member

I raised the decking slightly in the end as there was a half meter difference in height between front and back of the frame. Cemented each post in, hasn't moved since and no signs of rot :)
    upload_2016-3-30_17-22-9.png

6. Phil the Paver

I was joking, looks good. ☺