Deconstruct MDF built-in

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Mildred, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Mildred

Mildred New Member

I have just bought a flat and need to have the entire floor relaid. In one bedroom there is a built-in wardrobe covering one wall made of mdf. I know it's a cheap material but due to the expense of having a new floor I wondered wether it is possible to take the wardrobe apart and then reconstruct once the floor is down? Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

2. H3xc0d3

H3xc0d3 Member

Only you can answer that question really, can you see how it's screwed together so you can take it down?

3. Mildred

Mildred New Member

I can see how it's screwed together but I'm worried the glue will mean that everything splinters and is then ruined.

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If you having the floor relaid its got to come down anyway, so if it unscrews, bonus, if not time for a new one.

5. Mildred

Mildred New Member

Thanks guys. I guess we'll dismantle and hope! This forum is an excellent resource.

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

How do you know it's glued as well

As others have said, give it a go and try to work out the construction method used

Even if glued, a lot will depend on the type of glue used, the bond achieved and even how much glue was used

After removing fixings, a little persuasion with a mallet may separate the panels (assuming they have been glued)

It's one of those jobs that financially wouldn't be worth paying a pro to dismantle and rebuild but, if you can do yourself, including any repair work needed, then it's worth giving if a go

Good luck and fetch the persuader !

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

And a sharp blade might help between glued edges.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really