Decorators Caulk

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Iron_Mike, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Hi

I caulked the ceiling line after applying a mist coat.

I made sure that I smoothed the caulk into the edge.

I have painted over the caulk, but in certain places the different texture between the paint and caulk is noticeable.

The one room I haven't caulked, the finish looks professional. However I am concerned that the caulk line makes the other room look unprofessional.

I haven't yet applied the colour coats on the walls. So I will have two coloured coats going on top, so my concerns could be premature.

I used the evo stik white decorators caulk. I have also used a scraper to remove any lumpy sections on the caulk line.

Was interested to know if this was a common problem and how best to solve it.

Thanks

IM

2. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Mike a Picture might help.

Iron_Mike likes this.
  3. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Will get a video uploaded when I get home fella.

4. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Have taken a photo.

Guess the lumpy bits will need to be scrapped off and touched off.

Is caulking a ceiling line always a necessity? If not, I don't think I will do it throughout the rest of the property.

If it is, I, will make sure my bead is smaller.

Attached Files:

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

:eek: Caulk Overkill, scrape it off and start again with a fine bead! ;)

Iron_Mike likes this.
  6. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Other bits of the caulk bead line look like they have cracked :(

Attached Files:

7. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Cheers Astramax. Will do

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Bloody hell what did you put on with.

Shovel Truper.jpg

:p:p:p:p

Astramax likes this.
  9. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Used a gun. Was a first attempt, is annoying as the finish on the painting is good.

Just the caulk line ruins it.

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

A damp sponge helps to soften the bead after application, (re cracking) what brand caulk are you using?

11. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Don't use Wickes own brand its shi** rubbish, more cracks than a Scottish council estate.

Iron_Mike likes this.
  12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I'm only diy but always use the evo stick caulk and have recommended it on here several times

As above, just lashed on far too much, but as you say, not used before and we're all learning all the time

The great thing with caulk being water based is that it's easy to clean and smooth over before it's dried, using a damp cloth or sponge. Always have these to hand when using along with a bucket of water

Using a decent cartridge gun can help as well as some give a stop / start bead and are jerky to use

Just run a small section of caulk to establish bead size needed after smoothing, this also depends on size uv cut nozzle at. You don't need a lot and the idea is that after smoothing, you can't actually see the caulk, but it does help to stop cracks appearing between 2 surfaces as it remains flexible

Your not aiming for a bead say between a worktop and splashback, where you want to see the bead

Also when smoothing over, you want to avoid 'tram lines' appearing on wall and ceiling. These will scream out even more when painted

Get it right before the stuff dries as it doesn't sand and your best option is to cut it back with a flexi craft type blade and scraper

Some paints and some caulks do crack after drying - although it's not actually cracked as such, the paint 'crazes'

A coat of stain bloc such as Zinnster 123 over the caulk line will sort this and can then be painted over in an hour - good luck

Iron_Mike likes this.
  13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

DIY...it's 'ZINSSER' Bullseye 123, soft sheen also can be used ;) or is Zinnster from Lidl?:p:D

Iron_Mike likes this.
  14. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Cheers lads.

I did use evo stik.

I will scrap back the lumpy bits and use a much smaller bead in future.

15. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Just wanted to my remedy approach was correct.

As a background, the room was replastered. I applied a mist coat to the wall and ceiling.

I then applied one full coat to the ceiling. Finally, I applied a too thick bead of decorators caulk on the ceiling.

Just wanted to check my approach to rectifying it:

1. Go along the caulk line and scrape off the lumpy bits of caulk.

2. Apply Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Primer Sealer on the caulk line.

3. Paint over the caulk.

If I do the above, will this hide the obvious caulk line and cracks in the caulk line?

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Cut the old caulk out with a Stanley and smooth off with a scraper and 150 grit, refill with the caulk a fine bead, smooth off with index pinky and sponge............you may require a second filling if required................let dry, unless you are using the type that can be painted immediately.

Iron_Mike likes this.
  17. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Thanks Astramax

18. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Also how important is it to caulk the ceiling line?

As my initial attempts at caulking haven't been great, interested to know the importance of doing it.

19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I only caulk the cracked areas so I guess only important where and if required!

20. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Oh, I thought it was a preemptive measure as I don't have any cracks.

Astramax likes this.