Decorators Caulk

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Iron_Mike, Jun 12, 2017.

1. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Cheers Astra on the pick up on my poor spelling of Zinsser

That brand name is almost as confusing as their range of products and what they all do :p

Dorymai likes this.
  2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Waste of a post then! :D:D:D:D:D:D:p

3. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

I was advised to caulk the ceiling line when I posted up about painting the ceilings myself.

4. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Is there any point to caulk the ceiling line?

I have taken off the caulk which is quite fiddly to do.

If caulking a ceiling line is a necessity, I will do it. However if it isn't that important, I won't.

Cheers

IM

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Only ever caulked over cracked areas myself, never heard of or done any different.

Iron_Mike likes this.
  6. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Ok, hands up, it was me Mike that recommended caulking ceiling/wall junction on that post

Look, I'm only diy I admit, but have done loads of the stuff over the years, covering all aspects of home maintenance. Also like to think I get good results as well and will tackle most things, if I'm not sure, I read up and post a question on this great site

For years I've caulked whilst prepping for decorating, tops of skirts, anywhwere where timber meets plaster, internal wall corners, coving and wall to ceiling line - cracked or not - I just caulk the lot to help prevent any cracks forming

Ok, caulk has its limitations and if you have enough movement, cracks will appear. But caulking 'may' help to stop minor cracks from showing

But this is only my thoughts and my method. Not saying it's right or wrong or recommended or usual practice- it's just how I decorate

Without adding insult to injury Mike, once you get the hang of this caulking lark, you can caulk wall/ceiling line, in an average size room in say 15 mins - including moving the ladder around walls and cleaning up. To me, just makes sense ...... but that's just me

Sorry if I've caused you unnecessary hassle :(

Iron_Mike likes this.
  8. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

there's a growing trend toward a 'feature wall' colour, usually a dark colour. If that's against a light colour, which it usually is, I like to have a decent line of caulk down the internal corners to help get a straight line, cos a slightly raggy edge (not cracked) can make it look like a disaster area no matter how good at cutting in you are.
    That said, like DIYDave, I tend to caulk all joints if there not 100%, I'm not DIY.

Iron_Mike likes this.
  9. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

No need to apologise Dave.

It comes off and then I will be able to touch it up.

If I had got my bead size to be really small, I wouldn't have had the lumpy bits.