Defective Screwfix Product Caused a leak........any advice

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Canoeless, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Canoeless

Canoeless New Member

I purchased a sprung Bath Waste plug-hole from Screwfix, product number 47707 on the 5th August 2016. This was fitted last week by a plumber. Yesterday morning, my son announced that the living room ceiling was leaking. Sure enough, water was dripping out of a couple of holes in the Artex and there were brown leak marks all across the ceiling. I immediately turned off the water and called the plumber. He turned up and set about dismantling the plug to discover that the Screw Nut (part number 6 in the instructions) had shattered into 5 pieces. On closer inspection, the screw nut appears to be extremely brittle.

So, now we've had to pay for an emergency plumber, new parts, we will have to pay to have the ceiling repaired and redecorated. Is there any recourse open to us because Screwfix sold us a dodgy part?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Possibly overtightened, when fitted.

No house insurance?

3. Canoeless

Canoeless New Member

The nut itself is 'brittle', looks like it's perished, to shatter into 5 pieces looks a little unlikely from over tightening, yes we've got house insurance, but from my perspective it should be the people that sold the defective product, not my insurance company that picks up the tab.

4. TheMorg

TheMorg Active Member

It will cost less to get it done yourself over any excess (and increased premiums that follow). £200 should be plenty to get the ceiling patched, assuming it's started to sag, then redecorated.

Of course if the plumber supplied the part it would be down to him to remedy all this. I've only ever seen back nuts crack in one place when over tightened, multiple certainly suggests the materials are at fault.

5. Canoeless

Canoeless New Member

It was a Screwfix part, supplied with the plug.

6. screwfix.peter

screwfix.peter Administrator Staff Member

Hi @Canoeless

I am sorry to read of your problems. Please Email our Customer Service Team at online@screwfix,com with full details so they can investigate and advise.

Regards

Peter

7. Canoeless

Canoeless New Member

Will do Peter, thank you.

8. It's a tough one, Canoe.

The old "I bought the part and my plumber fitted it..." scenario.

If your plumber had both bought and installed the part, then it would have been for him to sort it out, claiming on his own insurance if needed (or, more likely, getting it fixed by friends in the trade) and then trying to challaenge the supplier if he could be bothered.

However, since you supplied the part you'd need to be able to prove it was either (a) a manufacturing fault or (b) an installation fault.

And I mean 'prove' - ie demonstrate to a reasonable degree.

I'd suggest that starting off with the headline claim "Defective SF product caused a leak..." is not the most balanced way to begin that process...

KIAB likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

OP states, nut itself is 'brittle', looks like it's perished, I can't see it perishing within a week, rather stupid having a plastic nut for a bath outlet, but it's a standard thing these days.

This item: http://www.screwfix.com/p/sprung-bath-waste/47707?_requestid=250630

Very difficult case, isn't it DA.

10. Canoeless

Canoeless New Member

My first port of call was the Screwfix that I purchased it from. The chap who served me stated that the part should not have shattered like it did.....hence the citing of it being a defective Screwfix product.

I have been in touch with their Customer services department who have fobbed me off. Screwfix apparently NEVER pay compensation for any product they supply which is defective, again, not my words.

It strikes me as a bit worrying that Screwfix can sell any old tat with apparent impunity, expecting the resultant mess and hassle to be covered by somebody elses insurance.

I've informed them that I will pay for the repairs and redecorating myself, then present them with the receipts. If they then do not pay I'll go through Moneyclaim and leave it down to the court.

11. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I suppose you are sure the plumber fitted the new nut and not the one he took off the old waste?

As was said a failure into multiple pieces is unusual, since once the first break happens all pressure is removed from the part. Hope you get some comment from SF on investigation, make sure you take photos of the pieces before sending them off

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Your reading my thoughts again.:)

13. Canoeless

Canoeless New Member

He left all the old bits for me to dispose of, and unless he substituted the new part for an old one which he had lurking in his tool-box, which wouldn't seen worth it on many different levels, I am as sure as I can be that the part he used was actually the one out of the box.

14. Canoeless

Canoeless New Member

This is the reply I received from Screwfix..........

Thank you for your email regarding the response received.
    I appreciate your comments, that you feel that item is faulty, in this instance all Screwfix would be obliged to offer is a refund or replacement in full and final settlement. However from the image supplied it appears that the item was overtightened upon fitting. Therefore we would suggest that you contact your Plumber as it appears to be a fitting error and not a fault with the product.
    We are of course happy to assist where we can, however as explained Screwfix are not liable for any costs incurred and does not offer compensation. As explained the swiftest resolution is for you to contact your household insurers and your plumber to contact his public liability insurers to resolve. We would advise that you retain the item pending any investigations.
    Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.
    Should you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.
    Kind regards

Their employee is indeed truly gifted if she can deduce that the fault lies with the plumber, not the product just by examining a photograph......Genius.

15. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

KIAB, modern plastics can be incredibly strong, if the part is designed and manufactured correctly.
    Part of my real job is designing busbar supports for large power distribution systems, we design them to be manufactured from high quality plastics, they need to be capable of withstanding several tons of force being imparted on them almost instantaneously during short circuits.
    So I have no issues with plastic nuts as long as they are manufactured correctly

16. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Can you post the image on here please

17. Canoeless

Canoeless New Member

18. Canoeless

Canoeless New Member

This is the photograph I sent her.....her deduction from this; "over tightening"

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That nut don't look new, would like to compare it with a new one that comes with the outlet.

20. Canoeless

Canoeless New Member

It's covered in plumbers mate, I can assure you it's the one that came with the set. I've just read the reviews for it, wish I'd read them before I'd purchased it. There are obvious and repeated problems with this piece of kit which are highlighted time and time again in the reviews and yet Screwfix obviously couldn't give a monkeys as they keep on selling it and denying any responsibility when the thing goes wrong.