Definitive guide on where to put radiators?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by David H123, Oct 6, 2015.

1. David H123

David H123 Member

I'm planning on moving some radiators about so I did a little research on where it's best to put them in a room and as far as I can tell it no longer matters.....really?

When training to be a plumber (or gas fitter) do you actually get taught where to put them and why, and if so has the course material been updated?

It seems pretty conclusive that the reason why you often find radiators under a window (apart from convenience) is because it's more effective as cold air comes in from the windows and helps push the warm air from the radiator into the room itself. However, with the invention double glazing that has now become redundant so I'm left thinking does it no longer matter?

Logic dictates that it might be more effective to stick them in the middle of a room but not sure if any gain is just negligible with double glazing and cavity wall insulation.

Another thing I seemed to often read is that radiators don't actually radiate but convect so now I'm thinking it doesn't matter if I stick one behind a sofa so long as the top of the radiator isn't obstructed. If that's true then I certainly wouldn't mind moving mine from under the window (no longer worry about long curtains) and put it out of the way behind my sofa.

I'm also thinking of putting a new radiator in the small bedroom (possibly tall one) behind the door since that space can't be used for anything anyway.

Are these ideas reasonable or is there some real science behind not putting them in these areas?

Thanks very much and hope you can help.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Now you have double glazing, you don't need radiators under windows now, like in the old days with single glazed windows being cold & they would cause cold downdraughts, etc,(convection) I consider it old fashion sticking radiators under windows, it's better to site radiators where it best for the room, furniture,etc.
    Like here, moved one radiator in hallway from wall to another which has a recess, small bedroom radiator will be moved from wall to the wall behind the door, (dead space) therefore allowing to make better use of the room.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  3. David H123

David H123 Member

Thanks for your reply,
    At least I know I'm on the right track.

Does anyone have a radiator behind a sofa and find it works fine?

Thanks again.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could always fit a shelf above radiator to deflect rising warm air into room.
    Also putting some reflector foil behind your radiators to reflect heat might be benefical, better than heating the wall.:)