Depth of Armoured Cable under lawn

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by pauldreed, Sep 29, 2012.

1. pauldreed

pauldreed New Member

Hi, I'm laying 10mtrs of 3 core 2.5mm armoured cable from my house, across the lawn and to the garage, and wondered if there was a minimum depth which armoured cables need to be buried?
    I hadn't planned on any other cable protection other than it's own 'armour'.

2. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Not for domestic installations.
    It just has to be buried at a sufficient depth so that it is unlikely to be damaged.

3. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Narrow trenching shovel/500mm deep/10mm pea shingle on bottom to what 75mm/lay SWA on bed/ 150mm 10mm pea shingle on top of SWA/electrical hazard tape/backfill and use cut turfs if applicable/job done to regs/thankyou

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Sand I'd say, not stones. 100mm above and below.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

pea shingle

6. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Sifted Sand, filtered soil, rock sand,cable, filterd shell sand , clay tiles , warning tape, then soil to finished level. If you are going to do it ,then do it right JP
    Pea stones !

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Excellent, JP, but there is no real point putting all the extras in the split. It is just as easy to make a split along hte lawn using a spade. Push the spade in, rock it back and forth to open up a slot in the lawn, and repeat next to it. This will create a narrow slit along the lawn about 200mm deep. Then drop the cable in and press it down in to the botoom of the splt. Then 'fold' the lawn back together over the cable and tamp down. Might need a bit of soil filling in places but thast about it. :)

BillyBobToo likes this.
  8. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Nice one Un and thanks m8.. :)

9. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Good idea Un, simple method the brain doesn't think of

but in a lawn would you consider 200mm deep enough , what if

10. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

450 mm or a spade depth with marker tape below the turf

11. Ian Curtis

Ian Curtis Member

In my opinion services should be burried at a minimum depth of 600mm!

12. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Yawn............................................

13. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Sinedoll digging a trench for JPs  shack[​IMG]

14. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Perfect Lokks  ;)

Trenched to 500mm, bito sand, cable on top and still leaving the exact 457.2 mm of depth above the top of the 10mm SWA to the finished ground level.

Cunnnt be better!  

15. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

The 450mm depth is, I believe, an historical one. It would be below the cutting edge of a plough in farmers fields. Unless there is adire need to plant spuds, plough the lawn and scatter good seed on the land, I really don't see why an armored should be buried in a lawn any deeper.  I call a spade a spade.

16. J.P.

J.P. New Member

17. TW@TMANDUDE

TW@TMANDUDE New Member

Monkeyboy

18. J.P.

J.P. New Member

That trench aint for SWA LD - I bet some 110/160mm orange is going down there - possible land drain but unlikely. That's a length of cut off SWA (in fact it might not be SWA at all) and the geezer is aving a joke..

19. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Shoulda gone to Specsavers JP as I can see the SWA by the guy in the trench stretching back along the trench to the shed.

Pukka job, barriers and all!

20. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Totally agree Sine that geezer knows where he is at - lovely well presented job - but I have exploded the pic to degraded pixel level and still cant see the SWA in the actual trench -

[​IMG]