Design software

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by FatHands, Aug 6, 2014.

1. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

http://www.sketchup.com/ - all you'll ever need - even exports to .dxf and far more first time user friendly than AutoCAD

follow the tutorials if you've not used any CAD applications before, you'll soon be flying

FatHands likes this.
  3. FatHands

thanks Sean, it certainly looks the best out there. Is this what you use? I guess if used commercially it would soon recoup the outlay.

Cheers
    Fats

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

+1 for Sketchup. Great program

FatHands likes this.
  5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

At my last place of work they had Solidworks. It was very easy to use i have the 2007 version which I have got. I studied GNVQ Advanced Engineering at college and we used Autocad R14. Between the two packages Solidworks was by far easier to use.

FatHands likes this.
  6. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Used Solidworks on my last job (only as a viewer to look at designs on the company server) But at HQ they used it to create finished designs. Drawings went straight through to the CNC shop where a bit of tweaking was all that was needed to have the CNC router churn out piece after piece. ;);)

7. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I use SW 2014 it's good

Have a search for fusion 360 if you want something for parts design, but for room design etc sketchup is a good free option.

8. FatHands

evening chaps, thanks for posting.
    Sketchup certainly seems the best out there for domestic design purposes as far as i can see. i know the pro version is $500, but Craig you referenced the free one - i can see they allow you to trial it for 8 hours and then reverts to the free one which i guess runs in a limited functionality. hopefully get some spare time soon and have a play with it. looks good!
    i know of some places which used solid works including a medical place that would send jobs to a plastic 3-d printer that would go off and make the design in plastic! guys said it took a while to get their heads around it, where sketch it appears to be powerful and easy to use.

9. Beenst

Beenst New Member

Sketchup really does everything that you need to be able to do and then some. The only complaint is that it is not very cheap, but then again you do need proper software that you can use – and Sketchup is certainly going to be good enough to last you a lifetime.

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Has anyone purchased the Ketchup program looking to learn.

Which version do you have?

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Don't you mean sketchup?:confused:

http://www.sketchup.com/

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Yes should have read Sketchup :oops:

Not

upload_2016-5-9_12-55-38.jpeg

13. deadbeat

deadbeat New Member

sketchup is free for non commercial use. if you want to learn it just use the free version