Dewalt batteries coming to end of life

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by sospan, Sep 20, 2015.

1. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Probably just me 'cos I don't work on site anymore,but I love my 240v gear. LOL :(

2. Ooskaaar

Ooskaaar New Member

Yesterday, my battery (4ah Li-Ion) and screwdriver of dewalt brushless XR have fallen down from 15 meters, by other person... The question about battery: if it's working good now, and charging too, can it be some bad impact on battery (of fall to the ground) for using in future or It should be everything ok? I mean, maybe it'll stop working about few of days

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Dropping it 3mtrs or 4mtrs isn't too bad, but 15mtrs can't do it any good, what did it land on?

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

what did it land on?[/QUOTE]

other person!

5. Ooskaaar

Ooskaaar New Member

It were stones and concrete, unfortunately.. The effect: the battery was laying in other place then screwdriver.

6. Ooskaaar

Ooskaaar New Member

other person![/QUOTE]
    Yeah, it was so Close :eek:

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yeah, it was so Close :eek:[/QUOTE]

Could have killed someone...:eek:

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The battery became detached on impact which was probably a good thing, is the battery casing in good order.?

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Only Dropped mine 4m and its been fine.

Guess if it runs and recharges it should be fine

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It might shorten it's life but you wont know till it dies.

11. Ooskaaar

Ooskaaar New Member

The screwdriver is cracked at the bottom, where the battery is attached. Tomorrow I'll take a pic and you'll see what I mean

There is just a very small fracture after dropped

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Superglue.:)

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Well already had a DeWalt DCD 785 XR cordless drill and an Angled driver, charger 1.5 and 4 ah batteries. The 785 was left amongst my stuff on a job and the guy never came back for it. This week picked up a naked XR cordless saw, a naked top end impact driver and a 5 ah battery for £299. Apart from another small drill to avoid the hassle of swapping bits over and another large battery, I am done on this side. I'll just keep lurking looking for opportunist offers.

So now its a matter of getting rid of all my older 18v and 28v. When I started sorting out all the bits and pieces for the DeWalt tools, it surprised me how much stuff I had that no longer need. Just how many 110v transformers do you need 3? SDS drills 5 ?

So its time for a massive clear out and hopefully get some money back towards swapping out some of my routers for a Festool router and rail system and a Festool circular saw as the current Dewalt will go in the clear out.

Looking forward to getting some space back and some new toys to play with.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

SDS drills :rolleyes:, went through mine last week, shock to find I have 132 of them from 5mm to 26mm in various lengths, probably a few more lurking in the darker recesses of my my workshop.:eek:Holes saws are starting to breed though,up 32 so far, can't even remember buying some of them.:(
    110v transformers only two, a 3.3kw & a 5kw.

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Its strange isn't it how this stuff breeds. Quite often its - "that's cheap, I will get it while its there, I will always use it!". The other reason is that I prefer to buy rather than hire.

Boxes of bits but actually have 5 SDS powerd drills / chisels excluding the 15 kg breaker.

I reckon I going to get rid of around half of my stuff.