Dewalt DW745 new generation 2016?

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Shevek, Dec 28, 2015.

1. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I make them all the time, they don't have to be complicated, just a few overlapping strips of ply.

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Radial arm saws, worse thing for the inexperienced because the rotation of most of them pulls the timber away from the fence. There are loads on ebay at the moment where people have realised they don't get the use out of them they thought they would. I got rid of mine years ago and rely on my chop saw for most 90 cuts up to about 220mm anything else on the sled on the saw table.

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

about 14 mins into the video

save you time, money and a few fingers

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree.

Years ago, had a Dewalt radial saw, a DW8101 think it was, you could mount a router instead of saw head,such a versatile tool, could cut,rout,etc, at all angles, every workshop should have radial saw.

Sospan:Look on Ebay, some great books available on making jigs for the router.

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Should this be for Shevek ?

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yes:oops:

Was too early for me.

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

No problem :D

8. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

9. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

If you want Dado thats your machine.

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

But it was inaccurate in all of those tasks because the arbor and its lock were too weak

11. Shevek

Shevek New Member

So I got the DW745 in the end. Great saw but noisy! Shame you can't get a induction table saws that a light enough to be portable.

One thing I want to do with it, instead of a rebate, is just cut a slot across a piece of timber to take a table-to-apron leg bracket, like the attached.

Will the DW745 work with the riving knife removed? And what do I need to keep in mind in terms of safety when cutting a slot like this with the riving knife removed?

4074-k462A-0212.jpg

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Obviously have to be careful when removing the riving knife as the guard will be removed as well. Whilst is is frowned upon it is quite common practice (and the only way) to cut slots and rebates this way. When making doors, I normally make the groves for the panel using a table saw, two or three end to end passes and you are done.

Probably much safer than using a stacked dado cutter

13. Shevek

Shevek New Member

But if I'm cutting, say, a 5-10 slot into a 20 mm board with riving knife and guard removed, what's the risk? That the board will jump up?

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You cut your fingers off .. because there is no top guard

15. Shevek

Shevek New Member

So just make sure to use the push stick.

16. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You''ll learn. You need more than a push stick, you need push pads, feather boards and a healthy fear of what these machines can do to you and anyone behind. There is a lot to lean about tables saws - like where to stand and when to use the fence and when not.