Dewalt, Milwaukee or something else?

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by whiterabbit93307, Jan 31, 2016.

1. whiterabbit93307

whiterabbit93307 New Member

Most of my Dewalt tools are coming to the end of their lives. Brushes have been changed, batteries are dying gearboxes are feeling a bit crunchy. It's all nicad too. To be fair this set has lasted 8 years of general abuse.
    Having recently bought a 18 dewalt cordless drill (not the xrp) and being disappointed I am looking for a new set.
    Combi drill, trim saw, jigsaw, impact, recip saw and whatever else comes in.

Question really is has anyone got the milwaukee set and wished they hadn't? I just think the current Dewalt offering is squarely aimed at the DIY'er rather than trade using it day in day out. But I have never owned a milwaukee tool.

2. antuk99

antuk99 New Member

Matabo is worth a look at

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

All my cordless gear is Makita and I'm very happy with it, I know people with Milwalkie and they are also happy with it, I don't know a tradesman who uses Metabo.

whiterabbit93307 likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Mainly Bosch,Makita, but adding a M18 FPP2B-502X Fuel Twin Pack,or Milwaukee M18 BPP2C-402C to my collection in a few weeks.

5. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

I've just bought the brushless dewalt. The 2.0ah batteries.

I was in a rush as I was starting a new job. It's nice and light but not overly pleased with performance.

Think I would go makita but have to keep going with dewalt.

And yes it does feel a bit DIY. The brushless sold it to me

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

tore81 likes this.
  7. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Still plucking up courage to ask (tell ) my wife that I need (want) a new drill/driver. I'm looking at the compact Milwaukee M12BD. :rolleyes:

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I guess it is all down to personal preference and experience and where you buy in the range. The cheaper DeWalt kit is really DIY only but the DCD 995 combi drill is quite impressive for not much more.

I was really glad of it on the weekend up a 5m ladder in high winds fitting some CCTV cameras to a stone cottage. Some Bosch masonry bits and this drill had no problem going into the stone holding the drill in one hand and gripping the ladder and walls for dear life.

Seen lots of good reports about Milwaukee, Bosch etc. It does depend on what you want out of your cordless kit - do you actually need the full set of drill, screw gun, jigsaw, sabre saw, circular saw etc. ? I realised that for the use I need them, I don't need the battery versions and can rely on the mains jigsaw, sabre saw and use a table saw for most board cuts although I have a 18v DeWalt saw for the lighter work.

I will probably keep the DeWalt saw for "rough work" and when funds become easier get a Festool track saw for the "clever" cuts."

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

All my main kit is corded, but I do have a cordless 18v Bosch GKS18V-LI circular saw, so handy for cutting sheet material, half the weight of my 9" circular saw.

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Showing off again

11. whiterabbit93307

Thanks for the responses.
    Do I really need the whole lot cordless? Probably not. But it's what I have at the moment. The trim saw, Combi drill and recip saw yes. The rest is just useful.
    I have a festool ts55 which I treasure but the trim is great for chopping out floorboards and I would much rather run through a nail with that than the festool.

I think I just struggle with the whole degrading a brand so you can sell it to Joe Public. I thought that was what Black and Decker was for? You don't turn great tools into average tools so you can knock out more of them and you shouldn't have to play roulette with " which version is any good?"
    I didn't mean to start a let's **** off dewalt thread.

12. whiterabbit93307

But if i really wanted to **** off a tool.I bought an Hitachi 235 mm circular saw and it is possibly the worst tool I own.
    The badly designed fence has a minimum cut of 22mm (yes you really can't trim anything less without a using a straight edge guide) The start on it is like a chainsaw, I have to put all my weight on it to stop it kicking. The sight notch is not in line with the blade and to connect the dust extractor you have to add a longer guard lever and it won't fit in the box with it on. It really is an utter piece of junk.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sometimes I wish I had a cordless reciprocating saw, remove some tree stumps here a few years ago, right PIA have to use a mains reciprocating saw & a 40 mtr extension lead to reach bottom of garden.

EDIT: I use to have a Hitachi 12" circular saw, use to scare the hell out of me every time use it, had a nasty kick back up on starting.
    Got a Hitach reciprocating saw, superb tool, can't fault it.

14. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

They never used to sell dewalt or makatia in DIY stores.

So a clever little trick they do is sell you a drill with a ***** battery.

Most people won't know any difference. Mine was the 200 pound mark from Screwfix.It wouldn't go through stone put it that way.

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

That is the trouble with a lot of the main brands, they produce an economy model to get some sales but end up devaluing the brand. The only brands you used to see were B&D, Wolf and a few Bosch which at the time were the higher end.

I was watching a program this morning with some guys in Alaska working in truly atrocious conditions with mud and rain everywhere and over the tools. These were the top end DeWalt versions yet they were working faultlessly. You probably wouldn't see that with the economy versions

16. Davmac

Davmac Active Member

I was in a similar quandary as to which brand, tried a few makes and it was Makita I went with, you get what you pay for. Buy one LXT item with a 5ah battery and charger, add one extra 5ah battery to your kit and buy the body only sets this should save costs a wee bit, and give you some spare £££ for the Mrs to get some new shoes ( this works for me!).

17. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

A few weeks ago, I asked for peoples' opinion on Milwaukee tools, as I was looking at the 1/4 hex 10.8 drill/driver. I have now bought the new Makita version for 3quid more from a well known tool dealer in Scotland. What can I say? It's absolutely brilliant !!! I'm retired now,so usually use 240v kit at home. A cordless is handy for a quick job. I have an old 12v Makita Ni-Cd that was getting a bit tired.....Like me ;). Bl****y hell,what a difference this tool is ! So much lighter & smaller. You pros are probably used to these new machines,but to me,it was a revelation. :eek:

18. Davmac

Davmac Active Member

Going from NiCad to Lithium ion batteries was like going from Betamax to Blu-ray
    Cant wait to see what power tools will be like in 20 years time

19. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

I moved over to Makita from my ageing DeWalt kit back last year. Huge improvement in battery life and comfort. i could do with a small power screwdriver and have used the 10v makita on several jobs but I'm going to give my hard earned to Milwaukee for a M12BD though for a good few drinks more I might plumb for the brushless version.

Currently I'm in a quandary regarding a decent replacement for my mitre saw. Was pretty much sold on the Bosch axial glide but the dust extraction is complete pants and it weighs a ton. Everything else I look at just doesn't quite tick every box apart from the Kapex KS120. The only issue there is the price. Anyone want to convince me to bite the bullet or consider an alternative?