Dewalt multi tool

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by tore81, Mar 18, 2017.

1. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Using my dewalt multi tool today and realised it struggles really to cut through ply. Loads of vibration and noise but isn't really that great.

it's like a Vauxhall nova! All noise.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    tore81 and CGN like this.
  3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Make sure the ply is properly supported and solid while you cut, otherwise it will vibrate and counteract the cutting action of the blade, same with using a jigsaw. Also check blade as Kiab suggests.

Deleted member 164349 and KIAB like this.
  4. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Supported the ply, with work horses and tried over joist.

I've used the proper dewalt blades! Unless these are useless? It actually starts to smoke. Most of the videos I see is like minimum effort wether it's the tool or blades.

Not overly impressed with it

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Are you making long cuts in the ply maybe ? Cutting down 8x4 sheets :eek:

I'm only diy and only have a Bosch and it's only the 'green version' so diy jobbie from BQ

Yep quality of blades makes a difference but these tools are fantastic on small cuts, awkward areas, trimming a smidgen here and there but for long cuts, way too slow and better tool choice available

Have used mine to cut through 18mm ply but only for a 2G socket

Mind you, when the blade starts smoking I quite like the smell actually ..... :)

tore81 likes this.
  6. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

No mate only cutting about the size of a socket pip entry from floor. Seems to be good on skirting.

Must be the blades which are ****

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Some blades loose their temper as soon as they get warm & go soft.

Try the ones in my link,found them very good blades.

Dewalt 80mm Segmented Blade, £18:eek:, I can buy a pack of three of the Saxton Blades ones for that price.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I have a Bosch GOP 25 CE.

When I had it new it had a ring collar, this broke in half quite quickly.

Its over 3-4 years old now.

I have notice the 3/12 prongs on the head are missing and have broken off. hwne the have all broken off then I will have to get a new one. Don't like the allen key removal, would prefer a clamp system

upload_2017-3-18_12-46-10.png

KIAB likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Hate the allen key removal system,that's why I'm getting the Bosch GOP 40-30, more powerful,keyless accessory change, plus it has a led light which is a added bonsus.

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Sometimes the blade becomes loose. Think the missing prongs has something to do with it.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It will,allows the blade to jump, making allen screw come loose.

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I can seen it uses a different fitting systems (starlock). are the blades more dearer?

Cant' see any blades on the saxton website, the other ones says; 'exclude Bosch Starlock'.

13. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Is that the one with the 'starlock' blade? I really like the design of it, so quick to change, it's on the list.

I have the previous version of this: https://www.its.co.uk/pd/TM3010CK-M...h-Tool-Less-Accessory-Change-_MAKTM3010CK.htm
    The tool less change is great, but still takes time to change when compared to the Bosch system.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yes,but I am idiot, just realise the bigger Bosch GOP 55-36 you can use the three types of blade mounting, so I might go for this one instead.
    What I like about the Bosch is the extra power & led light, going to look for one next week & have a nosey before ordering one.

See this review on it, UK might be slightly different, but it's 99% same.

This is the bigger 550w :eek:UK version.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    Joe95 likes this.
  15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I missed the '0' out. should be GOP 250 CE, the '250' means 250 Watts. that 500w model looks lethal :eek:, my one struggles on thicker material.

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That's the one I have, but as you have also found out it lacks power.

Originally decided on the Bosch GOP 40-30, but with a bit more research, I found Bosch GOP 55-36 is better, as you can use starlock, starlock plus & starlock max blades, so a wider range of blades, whereas GOP 40-30 is only starlock.

17. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Mines from Lidl :D

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Mines Fein :)

19. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

They haven't got one of those supermarkets by me chippy! :D

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

But you've got a lidl one :p