Dewalt plunge saw

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by mikejoiner, Sep 1, 2009.

1. mikejoiner

mikejoiner Member

I just got a 28v dewalt plunge saw after all the talk about them being so good on here. For a change I cant wait to get to work !

2. evo nut

evo nut New Member

i rate mine highly,

Enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

i have the 18v version i have had it 2 months now fantastic kits on 6/18mm boards can see worktop requiring a fresh battery for a good cut
    i have 2 1.5mm tracks absolutly brilliant just plunge cut the track rubber with the saw lay it on the pencil lines and cut no clamping just lay on cleanish wood/board and plunge cut brilliant;);)
    big all

4. Mattybones

Mattybones New Member

110v.... can do absolutley anything....
    Have since sold my portable dewalt flip saw and also sold on dewalt radial saw. The plunge saw eliminates using a number of tools. Thank you who ever came up with the idea!!
    Amazed!!!

5. mikejoiner

mikejoiner Member

Looking through the new s/f catalogue and spotted the 2.6m guide rail for £69.99 ,Bargain . Thats far cheaper than i can find anywhere else so i bought one.
    Anyway,I have two 1.5 m rails and wondered if you can fit both in the rail bag? Has anyone tried ?

6. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

i keep 2x 1.5m rails in the bag its designed for 2! the only pi55er is you cant fit the quick clamps in there too! oh and try D-MTOOLS.co.uk for rails might getem cheaper

7. mikejoiner

mikejoiner Member

Slight problem with the new plunge saw. every now and again when i was ripping ply the saw would die like the battery was needing charged but when i release the trigger and squeezed it again it would work fine and keep ripping again.the shop i got if from phoned dewalt rep and she said i need to give the batteries a 24 hour charge.they have already had over night charges and no difference. any of you had any problems with yours ?
    mikejoiner

8. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

i dont have those problems mike cos i got the 520 and its 240v ;) just after i bought mine the 28v was released, but personally i wondered if it would be up to it and seeing as i do domestic work theres always 240 on tap!

9. big all

big all Screwfix Select

heeellloo mike the joiner
    if they are li-ion batteries its the protection circuit in the battery stopping the battery when the volts drop too low
    its time to recharge vthe battery

big al

10. mikejoiner

mikejoiner Member

I`m then thinking the circuit must be knackered (both batteries) as it did it the first time i used the saw after charging fully .I took 1 rip off a sheet of 18mm ply and it did it ,squeezed the trigger again and it worked fine for a good while after.maybe a dodgey batch of batteries.I should have gone for the corded version.

11. evo nut

evo nut New Member

hi mike,

i have also experienced this problem but found i was trying to push the saw too quickly rather than letting it do the work.

mine's okay now and the batteries are all good for mine, let me know how yo get on.

evo nut

12. mikejoiner

mikejoiner Member

Hi evo,
    I will see how it goes over the next few weeks and keep in mind what you said about slowing down a bit.Other than that i am converted. I was cutting wetwall panels this morning and it left a perfect finish in a fraction of the time.Great.
    Mike

13. wuddy

wuddy Member

how does the 18v compare to the 28v?
    i want one for ripping ply and cutting the bottoms off doors but also want a drill the same voltage, the 28v drill seems a bit over kill but not sure if the 18v saw would have enough power and last long enough.

anyone tried both or can shed any light?

14. big all

big all Screwfix Select

as i said above kevsid
    i have the 18 v i 90% off the time cut 6/12mm mdf/ply
    or 9mm txg cladding i can see worktops requiring a well charged battery but you can garentee the 18 v will be as good as the 28v if not a touch slower but i am shure 3x 2.4 or 2.6v batteries will make up for the volt difference

i doubt you will have many people that have had extensive comparason trials when both machines are so new

big all

15. evo nut

evo nut New Member

hi kev,

i think in hind sight if i were to buy again i might buy the 18volt as i have so many of the batteries i could go on all day.

i have had to get a extra 28volt one as i find two just aren't enough.

also as the are li-ion the cold does seem to have some effect on them

as big all says i haven't tried the 18volt so would be interested to hear how it performs with 18mm mdf and ply and works tops

BIG AL the above is aimed at you;-)

evo nut

16. big all

big all Screwfix Select

ok audi tommorow [today soon ;)]
    because i dont often use 18 or 25mm i will cut 2x12mm mdf and ply i will also go for 3x 12 mdf and ply this should be as dificult as a worktop
    i wont go for more than around 4ft as i am shure it will cut easily i am shure your probably talking around 3 to 5m per 2ah battery for 18v batteries

big all

17. big all

big all Screwfix Select

found a 40mm oak worktop about a year old

1 year old 2.6ah nimh last charged 3 or 4 weeks ago[not charged since]
    cut 10 widths then i got bored would probably do another 3 or 4 so it cut 20 ft or 6m accross the grain
    so should quite easily manage a kitchen on 2 batteries or 3 iff you have a saw jigsaw hammer drill on the go

yes it does cut slowly about 2m a min but it gives a good clean cut that a 2mm champher would finnish off nicely

big all

18. evo nut

evo nut New Member

big all,

thanks, thats interesting the 18volt seems to have plenty of power but without battery problems.

in hindset i should of got that seeing i have 18 18 volt batteries!!

evo nut

19. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

Evo, it was on a deal at DMtools i think for a naked saw about £120 odd, worth looking still ;) fwiw i used to use my 18V dewalt circsaw on worktops allday long before treating myself to me plungesaw!

20. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

its london thats where i saw it! ;)