Did I see right?!

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by 14th edition, Jul 21, 2016.

1. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

Wandering thro BNQ yesterday and saw BG Amendment 3 consumer units, fully loaded for £32?! I know BG are cheap tat but £32?

2. Quiche81

Quiche81 Member

They're listing the Plastic ones for £32, not sure about the AM3's

They Sell Populated MK Ones for £70, cheaper than some electrical outlets.

3. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

I can't find any difference in quality of manufacture between BG and MK or Wylex AMD 3 boards. In fact I prefer them and use them.

4. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

Just been reading reviews and they seem to be well thought of!

5. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

I use a lot of BG garage units the metal ones are great, cast alloy they drill easy and plenty of room.

6. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Seconded. They're gobsmacking value.
    A few years ago they would have been sold for three arms and several legs.

TP&N likes this.
  7. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

In my local B and Q they're doing the plastic ones for 32 quid,we were in last weekend and a guy was looking at one,my wife said to me " I thought you couldn't use them now,they don't comply with ammendment 3 do they?" The guy looked at my wife,looked at me wearing my logo'd work shirt,put it down and walked off.
    It's funny really I'm doing my 17th shortly and the wife's got so used to me studying the books and talking about the regs to the lads that she's starting to pick it up.One of her mates had a new board fitted last week,she was going on to everyone about how it was one of the new metal ones,really boring everbody with it,my wife asked her if she'd got a certificate off the electrician for the work.Everyone looked at her,nobody knew what she was on about.
    We decorated recently and I had to go out,when I got back she'd papered one of the walls and it was perfect around the sockets,"yes well it should be I took them off" was the response when I asked how she'd done it.The thing was she'd not turned off the whole board,just the breaker for the circuit she was working on.I had the last laugh though,I asked her if she'd used the lockout kit and put a notice on the board, "no,there was only me in so I didn't bother".
    I was only winding her up about the lockout,but I seriously think if she has my tools she can get along without me,I got her some tools for herself but she prefer's mine as they are "proper".lol

8. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

I like it how the missus talks customers through on the phone on how to locate the dodgy circuit/item that's tripping an RCD. She knows the last thing I'll want to do is break a days work, or go off on a saturday morning, to go on a call out to restore power to a house.

philthespark likes this.
  9. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Years ago when I ran my own firm we had a customer who was nuts,she regularly set her alarm off and would put the number in to stop it but not press reset,so when she came to rearm it wouldn't.We'd been out to it countless times and were thoroughly fed up,it was always operator error,it was one of those jobs that you began to wish you'd never took it on.
    Well as it happened she rang up one day and the wife answered the phone,the woman went into a rant about how carp the system was and how she was fed up with it not working properly,the wife listened patiently then asked her to tell her what was showing on the panel,the Woman replied,"well there's a green light saying power,a red light saying fault and a flashing red saying zone 1".The wife then asked her to press reset and she heard the double beep over the phone,"oh it's back to normal" the woman exclaimed, "yes I thought it would be" replied the wife, "incidentally when you had it installed did my husband leave you a user manual?" "oh yes,it's in the drawer" came the reply,"good" replied my missus "now I suggest you read it and stop ringing up and wasting my husband's time" .She hung up and the woman was never heard from again.lol

FatHands likes this.
  10. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Mad customers ?....you will not believe this one..........true I assure you.
    Did job...new board...very odd lady....she paid...
    Forgot about it.
    2 weeks later phone call............."My cat has died"
    "was it electrocuted"...
    "no just died...he was 12"
    "Sorry madam, what has that got to do with me"?
    "well he was Ok till you did that job...he has never done that before "
    RS

philthespark, Beefstu and FatHands like this.
  11. Quiche81

Quiche81 Member

Im almost tempted to buy a couple and strip it for parts !

12. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

13. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Why don't you fit a board for Phil the sparks neighbour

14. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

A couple of dead cats?

15. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Had an eccentric old man refuse to pay an invoice until we returned to shorten the string on a pull cord.

teabreak likes this.
  16. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

now now the customer is always right (lol)