Die Lorelei 2017

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by Dr Bodgit, Apr 26, 2017.

1. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Awesome project. Love your garden and what you have accomplished so far.

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Thanks kools. Its one benefit of having a place of my own post-divorce :)

snappyfish likes this.
  3. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

^^^ Nice package ^^^ mines dues July, are you building yourself? How long do you think it will take?

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

U are my hero :p

5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Yep building it myself, it ain't dificult. Will get the sub-frame and first timbers done myself, got Brother coming down on the 22nd July and should get most of it done. Have partners-daughters-boyfriend available 23rd in case I need him for the roof (and he's 6+ ft tall)

snappyfish likes this.
  6. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Going to build mine now, the size of your delivery looks like I'm going to have it delivered outside the house and then move it into the garden myself.

7. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Had two days of hard work...having laid out the external timbers of the sub-frame and cut the legs, bought a laser level to make sure everything was spot on. Laser level was useless (couldn't get it consistently level around 360 degrees and the laser was too faint) so reverted to good ol' long spirit level with a reference point in the middle. As I thought, one corner was a tad high, the rest about 1/2" out! So new legs cut after careful measuring and re-measuring. That was Saturday.

Then on Sunday, made up the perimeter timbers having checked and measured the cabin timbers...it is per the plan. External walls are 5300mm x 3300mm so sub-frame is 10mm less all round (ish). Doesn't help that timbers aren't straight but that's wood for you I guess.

Despite checking again and again that the diagonals are the same throughout, there's a 20mm difference once finished. Was able to knock it back half way and I think the rest can be corrected with the first row of cabin timbers. Quite pleased overall and confident its square and level enough. Not easy work though!

Floor joists will go in once the cabin is up with at least 4 internal legs and noggins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

There is DPC under each leg too,150 mm x 150mm

9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Not to take anything away from your achievements Doc, cause I love a project, especially a mans domain/cave/shed, but I'm more entranced with the size and beauty of your garden, it's lovely. Doubt your missus will see you once you get to the stage of connecting the lines and tapping the cask ;)

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  10. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

All looks good, so my concrete base is down now. Now they all say the level base is critical, is there an allowed tolerance?

11. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

The instructions say to check the cabin when building every 3 or 4 rows and make sure corners are within 2-3 mm so guess that's the tolerance.

12. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Diagonal corners?

13. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

One corner adjacent to another, so diagonals might be 4-5mm out, which is a lot. The issue is that if its out by 2-3 mm after just 4 rows, then uncorrected it can magnify to over 1cm which will cause problems when you come to build the roof.

Timber isn't totally straight, I struggled to get things totally level but I would expect your concrete base to be within 2-3mm. At a push you can pack out your treated timbers that go on first, but they need to be well supported.

14. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

What colour and brand of paint are you going to use?

Been told about protex from skinners, heard osmo is good and barndec.

15. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

This is what I'm going to use, all Sikkens, with the Protek wood preserver supplied free going on first;
    - two coats each of Cetol HLS Plus and Filter 7 in light oak for the main cabin
    - Rubol Primer Plus and Satura Plus satin finish in graphite grey (RAL 7024) on the door and window frames, and facias.

The screen shot shows the prices but I will look around again, prices have gone up quite a bit as last time I checked the total was only £167, now its £200!!!

Attached Files:

16. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

17. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

@KIAB is there benefit to using really good brushes for this Sikkens stuff, or is a reasonable brush OK? I can imagine that the finish for normal paint benefits greatly from a good brush, but this stuff more sinks in.

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Well a good quailty brush will retain it's shape, can hold more stain, so your not continually returning to the can,& longer bristles will give you a better finish.
    Don't want to go overboard with the cost, but you shoul notice a difference in applying the finish.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

P:S: How did I miss this thread!:confused:

20. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

No idea how you missed this...but you do seem to be busy on here. Sometimes you don't see the wood for the trees.