Die Lorelei 2017

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by Dr Bodgit, Apr 26, 2017.

1. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

It's odd how I was steering towards Osmo because of this, stated it had been up for 11 years up north as far as you can go in wet and cold conditions.

Thread here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But now after seeing this little test below using from the left, 3 coats of Osmo UV Oil, then one coat of Sikkens Cetol HLS Plus light oak stain covered by 3 coats of UV oil, and finally on the right one coat of Sikkens Cetol HLS Plus light oak stain followed by 3 coats of Sikkens Cetol Filter 7 plus light oak.

Thread here.

[​IMG]

KIAB and Dr Bodgit like this.
  2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Wow that's interesting. Sikkens for the win then

3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Purdy Syntox brush seems to be the one to use, biggest available is 3", would prefer a 4" but 3" is more usable for other things.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Excellent brush, as are all Purdy brushes,& perfect for the job was got to post link to it yesterday, but I forgot when I came in.:oops:
    And you'll find the 3" easier to use.

http://www.purdy.com/products/brushes/syntox/syntox-flat

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Should arrive Monday. Yes, a 3" brush is easier to use and I think is big enough to give quick coverage.

Attached Files:

6. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Is 5l to much for this size cabin? or are you overbuying for future painting?

Have you seen an example of the colours you are going for? I was steering toward a blue main colour, but can't help thinking a natural colour system you have chosen for main cabin is the way to go :)

7. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I have a load of photos on Pinterest so I know what it should look like. 5l isn't overdoing it I think, 2.5l is not enough so I have some left for over maintenance.

snappyfish likes this.
  8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Hopefully like this

Attached Files:

snappyfish and KIAB like this.
  9. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

You intending to get the exact look, different shades of stain on each piece of wood.

10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

The light oak will be a bit different but hope it still works. Cabin on the right is coated in Sikkens light oak so mine will look like this, but hopefully less knots so fewer dark bits. Cabin on left is untreated.

Attached Files:

snappyfish likes this.
  11. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Had the man power of Bodgit junior on Saturday and with his help got the sleeper walls finished by end of Sunday. Changed the wall heights a bit, was going to have an extra sleeper on the front right wall but looked like it was just plonked there, and as I had 2 sleepers left over decided to put a 4th row on the rear left wall so it matches the one in front.

Now just to barrow a few tons of soil to backfill and make it all level-ish. DPM will go against the outer walls so I haven't got damp soil directly up against the sleepers. Its all rock solid, ain't going nowhere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Right, back to the log cabin which goes up soon.

On the supplied 19mm T&G roofing will be going
    - 50mm celotex/equivalent
    - ply
    - EPDM

What thickness ply should I use? Was thinking 18mm but its very expensive and I don't think it needs to be that thick, as the whole roof is fully supported on the T&G. So 12mm? Can I go thinner, 9mm?

13. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Or OSB?

14. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Sorry to steer back to paint.

Had fun with Protek preserver, nearly run out just one coat. And very hard to see in bad evening light with the low sun hitting cabin.

If I run out can the sikkens Cetol HLS plus and filter 7 be used on its own without the need to but more protec?

15. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Protek and Sikkens do different things, at least that's my understanding. Protek is a preserver whilst the Sikkens stuff is a protector. Protek might not be needed so much in the higher parts of the cabin, which won't get as much moisture/penetration. I would do the lowest parts of the cabin first and work your way up, or look to get another small tin of Protek somewhere. I did wonder if 5l of the Protek would be enough for my cabin, and yours is a tad bigger.

16. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

It has just about done one Coat, all sides and windows frame I have 4 windows double door.

Should I really go 2 coats?

17. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

One coat of preserver should be fine, that's all I intend to do, with 2 coats of CLS and 2 of Filter 7 on top.

18. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Sikkens say that the HLS is suitable as a base coat so they don't "recommend" a preserver underneath. A coat of preserver can't do any harm, so one coat of Protek should be fine.

19. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

But its not a preservative? I've done one light coat all round with protect preserver, still unsure if I should grab some more preserver tomorrow.

20. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Do it if you can get some.