difference between structural plywood and WBP plywood

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by CoolNGroovy, Sep 21, 2006.

1. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Who is?

2. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Can only agree mate. Whats achieved by being pedantic. If it's suitable for the job, then no probs. BTW, anyone actually found out what Handy's trade actually is or does he just read a lot? :rolleyes:

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Dunno but this post was started 9 years ago.

4. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Well spotted Chippie. My eye sights s****e ! :D:D:D

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I have no idea what the initials WPB means other than it is external ply, structural means you can use it for flooring and marine ply means you shouldn't build boats out of it so not for marine use.

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

????? Marine ply means just that, for marine use, ie: boat building, the only difference between marine ply and wpb is the actual timber, the glue is exactly the same, marine ply is a better quality timber.

7. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

WBP doesn't last 5 minutes outside these days, even when coated, it delaminates very easily once in contact with rain.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Not any more Phil

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You do need to seal the edges.

10. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

11. seen it all before

I've tried all sorts, I've beaded around edges with 20mm x 10 mm hardwood beads, to make sure but I've had just had problems with the faces of the ply blistering in the middles. I've had numerous sheets which when I've cut in half the middles are not even glued fully and they are just delamination between each section.(18 mm ply). I just don't believe they are as well made as they used to be.

12. :D

13. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Heeeeelllllllllooooooooooo, Miss P got some competition :D:D

14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Makes ya wonder what she was googling for, to arrive at the UK 'Screwfix' forum!:p

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

15. roughberty

roughberty Member

Buyer beware when it comes to plywood. I've bought WBP from a merchant in Mid-Wales, been suspicious and wetted it whereupon it could be delaminated by hand. I suspect that the factory (China) or importer was having a laugh at my expense, counting on the merchant to either not know the difference and/or not care about it.

seen it all before likes this.
  16. Neil Lyons

Neil Lyons New Member

Just thought I'd share my experience, and think that the boards available now are different than the ones that were out 10 years ago. So 10 years ago I built a fitness center with an outside canopied running track on the first floor. All surfaced with 25mm WBP external plywood, (it gets wet but drys quickly)so after 7 years a couple of boards (untreated except pva on the edges)showed enough spnonginess to need replacing, so went back to the same merchant (not screwfix)and purchased some new boards, WBP external, less than two years later these same board boards were really de-laminated and dangerous, so along with a couple of other original boards that were now 8 years old, I replaced them again, once again sealing the edges with PVA glue. and less than 18 months later all 4 of those boards have gone, (really gone). Worse than that a sheet that was not laid was put in a container 2 years ago, perfectly dry, just took that out to use it and it has already started to de-laminate. So the merchant now says, if they are outside WBP external is not the correct board, but I should be using Marine ply at twice the price.
    Don't know if this will help anyone but this is my recent experience

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Has Demonica sodded off as well, she was pycho?

18. seen it all before

T
    Totally agree with you. The standard of plywood now is shocking.

19. miss pickle

miss pickle Well-Known Member

All jokes aside I'm chuffed this thread has come to light.
    I need ply for my outdoor signs :D least I know what to buy now :)

Competition ???? I can't imagine for one second a pretty girl like that would want my leftovers phil ;)
    How was darts? Haha! You'd have eaten me alive over there :rolleyes: I'd have been damaged for life :D I stayed clear. Bad enough on here :confused: like my new avi :)

Yes demonica left us chippie :( wonder how she got on with the caravan :oops:

20. Guethary

Guethary New Member

I ordered WBP from TP and it said on delivery note and board it was structural....I rang local office and they said it was same thing. I think not and will call head office.