Digging ditches in slate country

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Griffpj, Nov 2, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Griffpj

Griffpj New Member

I have just moved to Pembroke S. Wales and am having to cut some ditches in the slate ( which is about 6 inches below the soil surface)
    Any suggestion on what is the best tool electric or other to break into the slate?
    Cheers Griffpj

2. TNT

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

How long are these ditches & their depth.

Looking a a micro or mini digger with a breaker I think.:)
    Will be a lot quicker & easier on the back, than with a big Hilti TE 3000-AVR breaker.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I don't live so far away so know what you have to deal with. You are going to either need a very big machine or as KIAB states one with a breaker attachment.

Its very dangerous trying to use a small machine to scrape away on ground like this, a smaller machine will rise up rather than penetrate the ground and if you are at an angle - possibly tip over.

Alternatively see if you can get some of the prisoners from Swansea on day release ;)

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Spent time in North Wales many years ago laying water mains for several farmers, & trenching slate was a nightmare.

I reckon something around a 3.5 ton digger & breaker would manage it, but there always up to 5 tons available.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  6. Or 800t
    NTk5MjAzMzUz_o_liebherr-r9800-wash-car.jpg

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Mine is bigger.:p:p:D

Hitachi EX8000-6

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Nah, them's toys they is. :p:p:p:p digger.jpg

KIAB likes this.
  9. SLOW DOWN GUYS!!!

He is only installing one of these:
    [​IMG]

10. Griffpj

Griffpj New Member

Hi All

Many thanks for all your replies and suggestions big and small !! They produced lots of laughter :) in addition to the information.
    Sadly the big toys would never fit down the lane to the house.

I was really thinking of hand tools rather than mechanical ( sorry did not make that clear in the original post)
    Being at the bottom of a lane we get lots of water running off the fields and I wanted to make a an existing water route deeper to take more water and to flow better so the ditch is more for drainage but only needs to be 6-8 inches deep and will only be 4-5 yards long.
    The pick axe works but as you say the back will be sore by the end.

Thanks again
    Cheers griffpj

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

This then.
    upload_2015-11-3_10-41-25.jpeg

JCB Beaver,will make short work of that slate, can be hire for a weekend or week, safer to use than electric,even 110v were there water.

I would also go a bit deeper.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015