Digging up tree stumps

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by mikki, Apr 10, 2016.

1. mikki

mikki Member

We've started to dig up some small tree stumps that are touching our house. I came across a big slab of brick/concrete. You reckon this is part of our house? Should we carry on digging or just leave the stumps in there?

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You mean the lump to the right, could be just concrete slops (waste), as for tree stumps they will most likely shoot out again.

3. mikki

mikki Member

Yes the lump on the right. So you think we should dig the tree roots out?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yes.

Had worse stumps here to dig out (20):(.

When houses are built, they usually spread out the building waste & cover with top soil, some new builds, your lucky to have 4" of top soil, rest is rubble.:)

5. mikki

mikki Member

6. mikki

mikki Member

Oops sorry, don't know what I did there :oops:

Do you think the root would be growing under the house too? Hope they've not damaged the house in anyway! Our surveyor didn't mention anything so hopefully it's unlikely.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Very unlikely I would think, would take easy root first, under the lawn.:rolleyes:

Once you dig around them, & cut main tap root, they will come out easily.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I had the same bush near my front house, I like the look of the tree/shrub but someone advised to take it out as it would eventually get very big, cant remember the name maybe mountain ash? very quick growing. It just grew by itself within 2 years?

I had this in my house, someone decide to plant a conifer right next to the manhole. the survey did pick it up. The roots dislodged the bricks in the manhole. The tree had to cut down professionally as was bigger than the house, I also had the stump grinded out. I've manage to dig out the main roots, the reaming ones will just degrade.

upload_2016-4-10_12-0-1.png

upload_2016-4-10_12-0-21.png

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Manhole rebuilding time.:)

10. mikki

mikki Member

Woah that is huge compared to ours. Just looked up mountain ash, its not the same, ours is some kind of weed that's sprouting all over the garden and our neighbours gardens!

Attached Files:

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I have always been amazed what trees and shrubs people plant next to their property. My house had silver birch tree within a metre of the house. It was the first thing that went once i moved in - much to my neighbours annoyance as the had build a patio and seating area tin the shade of my tree and it stopped their garden being overlooked.

12. Mikki, if the stumps/trees haven't caused any issues to yer hoosie so far, then don't worry.

Chust cut them stumps down a bit more if you can so's they're below ground level, sprinkle stump killer on them and cover with a bit of plastic (plastic bag even) and tie over loosely to keep in place and prevent the salts being washed away.

You can even cover them over with soil right away if you want.

They'll be deid very very soon and will then rot away.

Jobbie jobbed.

13. mikki

mikki Member

Sounds like a much easier solution! Hubby has resorted to using an electric drill o_O

Attached Files:

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I think stump filler needs to be applied within a week of cutting own the tree.

15. echelon101

echelon101 Member

Well since he has resorted to using a drill, fill the holes with the stump killer/nitric oxide. I looked this up when I debated killing a stump but don't know if you can pick up said materials. I would be surprised if the drill doesn't struggle, my same drill hated a 12mm wood bit.

http://porch.com/advice/how-to-remove-tree-stumps/

Chemical Removal

Tree stumps will rot and deteriorate faster with chemicals. First start by drilling many holes in to the stump – this is where the chemicals will go. Specific chemicals like potassium nitrate, sulfuric acid, nitric acid or sodium disulfite are used to kill the roots (or look for an off-the-shelf product like RootX ). Obviously pouring dangerous chemicals directly onto your property poses a problem for children, pets and wildlife so use caution.

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Which is why I perfer to dig them out,like the ones I had here, I just dug all around stump to expose roots,then cut through them with a sabre saw.

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Judging by the size of the stump next to the spade, I think you will have trouble trying to dig it out, unless you are very determined :)

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Not at all, method as above, simple.:)

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The house next door also had a stump, smaller than mine.

I ending up digging it out too as some of the roots were veering into my garden (should have billed him, I was charged £60 to have mine grinded), i used a breaker to take out, and a recip saw to cut out the roots.

20. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I had to rebuild the course of bricks using engineering ones.

When I had the path reinstated, I spent £150 for a drainage CCTV for both foul and rainwater just to make sure that any pipe hadn't been damaged, luckily everything was fine.