Dilemma. Hitachi vs makita compound miter saw....

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by I Like Timber, Aug 18, 2014.

1. I Like Timber

I Like Timber New Member

Hia. Pretty new to this forum. Got helpful advice on my last post so I'll ask something else now.
    I need a good, durable, lightweight and long lasting compound miter saw...
    I've been looking at the Makita LS0714 110V 190mm Slide Compound Mitre Saw
    and thee Hitachi C8FSE 110v Slide Compound Mitre Saw 216mm
    The makita is priced at around 250 pounds and the Hitachi is priced at around 218 pounds.
    They both have very good reviews online, but the makita has many more and a lot of the fellas on site, have this makita model. It's only a 30 pound difference but I'm wondering if the makita will be the better choice if I was to go with it.
    What are your thoughts on this? Are there any other recommendations?I'll need A saw for mostly nice second fix finishings but also to cut 3x2, 4x2.
    And if I was to work with 4x4 or anything above 2 inches then I'm sure it isn't too much hassle to just flip the 4x4 over to finish the cut.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Ameer.

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Don't know about compound saws, but 9" grinders I've had both and Hitachi wins hands down ever time.:)

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I would go for the Hitachi - just to be different fro the others.:)

I don't work on site, but I have a Elektra Beckum KGS301, best thing I have ever purchased - its heavy due to it having a induction motor - one of the reasons i brought it, as its quiet in use - but as your onsite noise won't be an issue.The max it can cut is about 60mm thickness but it does have a sliding mechanism to cross cut to 310mm, but no trenching facility.

4. I Like Timber

I Like Timber New Member

Haha. Thanks phil. Rather off topic though I'll keep keep that in mind. In regards to the grinders... what uses can you find for it on site? I think I'd have to go with the dewalt as I have a collection of cordless dewalt tools. Cordless is so damn convenient...
    Thanks jitender. But I don't think that the elektra would suffice for every day on site use. Remember that I'll be transporting it about, multiple times a day. It'll be used and abused. So higher price miter would be more relevant. Hmm well. The makita saw looks more professional though. Really confused on which I should go for.

5. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I have only ever owned the 305mm dewalt and have no complaints, a couple of my work mates have the makitas and they would defiantly be my next purchase when the dewalt bites the dust, real smooth action and great cut